Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

If you simply want a way to turn a 1-pipe Radiator on and off, ......

Options
ted_p
ted_p Member Posts: 65
edited October 2020 in Strictly Steam
Big Ed_4 said:

The only way to shut off a one pipe steam radiator is to plug the vent .

The above comment by @Big Ed_4, in @ConservationCrowley's discussion, Radiator Supply Valve - Why do we need 'em?, reminded me of something that I've been pondering for a while now:

If you simply want a way to turn a 1-pipe Radiator on and off, why not just insert a valve, such as this, ....

.... between the Radiator and the Air Vent, like this?

The thing that most appeals to me about this approach, is that the "operator" (which means "tenant" in the worst case) can't cause water hammer by opening the valve part-way. B)
luketheplumber

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    Of course this will work. I have radiator elbows and these 1/8” pet cocks on all my rads. In some minor way you could even throttle the rad. 
    ethicalpaulted_p
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    Options
    Something to watch for is if steam still makes it to the radiator valve, the packing nut or the union or something is leaking in that area.
    I've used similar Ball valves connected to vent lines so all the air can be evacuated through a common vent. Just like in a to pipe steam system.
    It was very easy to balance the radiators and turn a couple off.
    ted_p
  • ted_p
    ted_p Member Posts: 65
    Options

Of course this will work. I have radiator elbows and these 1/8” pet cocks on all my rads. In some minor way you could even throttle the rad. 

Thanks Danny!

I figured someone would have done this by now, unless there was something I'd overlooked which makes it a bad idea. :smile:

Something to watch for is if steam still makes it to the radiator valve, the packing nut or the union or something is leaking in that area. ......

Great point!

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Hoffman vents will stop the flow of air, when turned upside down-no valve needed.--NBC
    ted_p
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Emerson Swan 1 8"Angle Steam Vent, Adjustable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072R1RR46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DmWGFbG9Z7KKH

Setting 1 is closed. Very good vents Otherwise. Adjustment range is from approx a Gorton 4 to a Gorton 5. A Common Hoffman 40 is in the middle of that range. That range, combined with lots of main venting, and I can handle the range of my smallest to largest radiators. Larger radiators vents a little faster since they have larger piping. Vapor is pulled towards them faster.

Other than a couple radiators with Maid o Mist 4’s on them, and other with TRV’s, all the rest have these in my house. I can tweak the balance as needed or turn off heat to a room altogether.

ted_p
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    Options

I would try a needle valve if I wanted to throttle the Rad
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    Grallert
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    Hoffman vents will stop the flow of air, when turned upside down-no valve needed.--NBC
    NPT joints can only be moved so many times before they wear and then need to go further.  And further.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2ted_pGrallert