Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

==> Steam Heat water getting pushed from top of the gauge glass,one radiator vent spitting out water

Options
LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
hello,

Question 1 --> I made sure that water level in the steam boiler is with in the two lines on the gas gauge. little while I went back and noticed little bit of water was being pushed back in to the glass tube from the top of the tube sporadically. Also there seems to be few drops that leak very seldomly from the water gauge glass . I was wondering what might be the reason. (picture below)

Question 2 --> This season I noticed that one of the steam radiator spitting out water for a while, then it stops

Thank you all!
\- @LS123

Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Probably related, anyway. The boiler may be surging. I forget (I think you've had another thread?); how new is this boiler?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,705
    Options

Probably related, anyway. The boiler may be surging. I forget (I think you've had another thread?); how new is this boiler?

Judging by the picture they posted, it's a little older than you. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaulmattmia2LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    Good morning all and @Jamie Hall !
    Boiler is steam, probably 70 plus years. would would cause a this type of boiler to surge once in awhile?
    (This used to be coal burning, converted to oil)
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    by the way, I drained out all the water from the boiler this morning from return line (this system is one steam pipe), it was thick brown. then I refilled the boiler with fresh water.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Have you cleaned the pigtail, and verified the pressure with a low pressure gauge lately?
    Brown water could plug up the pigtail, main vents, and allow the pressure to rise up Beyond the few ounces needed.—NBC
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    hello @nicholas bonham-carter ,thank you. I didn't know pig tail needed cleaning. I am going to try that. thanks again all!
    Thank you!
    @LS123