Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What does this pressure relief do?

dkirkwood
dkirkwood Member Posts: 21
This valve (in pic) is in the water supply line that goes to my auto feed control valve for my boiler. The boiler is Burnham Steam--it and the controls and autofeed are about 2 years old.

What does this valve do? What are the 3 vertical projections for? I assume it has something to do with pressure relief of reduction, but I don't know if that is right.

Also, it is dripping in the center, into the pipe that extends down--the pipe simply lets the dripped water onto the basement floor--is the dripping a sign the valve is bad--or is something else wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    This is an RPZ backflow device (reduced pressure zone) that prevents boiler water from flowing backwards into the potable water supply. It is required by certain codes to be installed on the CW supply to the boiler and should be tested yearly by a certified backflow tester.
    Zman
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    and if it's dripping, it needs servicing at the very least -- the drip indicates that it isn't functioning properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England