Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe System Wet Return - Can somebody advise ?

Options
2»

Comments

• JasonFritz
    JasonFritz Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I'll dig and google around I guess :-)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options

The Crown Boiler Install manual ust says " refer to whatever number / chapter of the US gas code for pipe sizing" .....its very helpful :):) they couldn't have just said ....you need whatever size ....or whatever gas pressure ....for this or that size boiler ?
    both easy to measure :-) .......instead refer to a bunch of tables ,find which one applies to you first if you can .... I hate it when companies make it harder when not necessary ... :-)

It's not harder than necessary. Every installation is different, and the required pipe sizes will change depending on factors such as distance from the pressure reducing equipment, the meter, other appliances hooked up, how many fittings and what sort are in the way... and so on. The tables help the craftsperson installing the system to do it correctly, without having to resort to the head loss calculations which are otherwise necessary.

Boilers and such are not plug and play, and you can't treat them as if they were the latest digital widget. Doesn't work that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2JasonFritz
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I might argue that Crown Boiler did it right. The code can change over time and location...why should their manual partially try to replicate the tables that may or may not apply to a given customer?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,661
    Options
    Although the laws of physics that dictate the pressure drop in a given configuration of gas piping do not.
    ethicalpaul
  • JasonFritz
    JasonFritz Member Posts: 17
    Options
    everything should be plug and play :):):) make life easier :)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,661
    Options
    See we distribute gas inside residential houses at 7" water column pressure, it was designed for gas lighting, it is more like duct work than piping so you need large diameter pipe to distribute a high volume of gas without pressure drop.