Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler pilot light

Options
Hi ,

My girlfriend recently bought a house with a boiler heating system. During the home inspection, it was turned on and run successfully. We had the gas valves replaced by the previous owner (as they were all pretty old valves and the inspector recommended it). So, I believe the pilot light just needs to be relit.

It looks like there is an ignitor button (lower right in the pic of the open panel), but it doesn't seem to be connected to anything. I feel like the pilot is in the opened burner panel in the lower middle of the pic.

Any thoughts/ideas if that is correct? It is a Valliant GA100-8 SPVD.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The pilot is at the end of that ~1/4" aluminum tube that goes underneath the burner. turn the valve to "pilot" you need to get a match or grill lighter to the burner at the end of the tube and hold down the red button on the valve to turn on the pilot burner and hold it until the thermocouple heats enough to hold the valve open.

Close the little door once it is lit and turn the valve to "on". whoever installed it kinda did a hack job.

Get that flammable stuff off the top of the boiler.
    dave789ethicalpaul
  • dave789
    dave789 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited September 2020
    Options
    You need to turn the gas valve to pilot, hold in the red button on the gas valve while repeatedly pressing the red spark ignition button. Once the pilot is lit, continue holding in the red gas valve button for about a minute. Then turn the gas valve on.
    dave789
  • mattmia2
    Options
    I couldn't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like whoever replaced the valve didn't hook up the igniter.
    dave789
  • dave789
    dave789 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too about the igniter not being hooked up to anything.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    I've never heard of replacing a working gas valve just due to age, but I suppose it couldn't hurt anything.

I'd be more concerned with the signs of flame rollout (the burned-looking spot going up & left from the rectangular opening). I can't tell if it's old or an ongoing problem, but you should get it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing.

mattmia2dave789
  • mattmia2
    Options
    That door over the pilot should be closed as well. I really doubt that the hack that replaced the valve did a good combustion analysis to make sure it was adjusted properly.
    dave789