Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A Circulator Is Not A Pump

Options
2»

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    The human heart is a vortex circulator buffer- not a 'pump' in the literal sense. Read Dr. Tom Cowan's "Human Heart Cosmic Heart" book. You'll also learn a lot more about current 'medical' issues. He claims the water in the blood moves it along by charges and the heart buffers this force to balance flow. Interesting concept.
    We do have positive displacement pumps, such as a rotary gear and piston as well as negative presssure such as centrifugal ones. The main thing to understand is that mass(water) flows from one place to another by a pressure gradient. Now, that pressure may be hydraulic pressure, static pressure or a vacuum pulling it. When you enlarge a pipe, the mass flows in happily under reduced pressure. When it encounters a vena contracta or constriction, flow drops off while pressure increases.

Blood vessels, being smooth muscle, have the unique ability to dilate and constrict on command. When frightened, your adrenaline (epinephrine) causes vasoconstriction. This reduces blood flow to the periphery resulting in the skin appearing blanched white( as a ghost). This is why your toes get cold when you smoke cigarettes in the cold. Conversely, a sudden vasodilation causes the perfusion pressure in the brain to drop and so do you.

Ask any fire engineer about friction loss from small diameters, vena contracta's, nozzles, kinked hoses, etc.

Fun discussion.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    edited March 22
    Options
    Last I looked, the human heart is a semi-positive displacement pump, with characteristics similar to a diaphragm pump. Go back to med. school, or if you are already a doctor, kindly stay out of engineering.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Bob Harper
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Firefighting equipment engineers major concerns are with trying to obtain mass flow where the smallest hoses are used first and then the next size up and as a last resort connecting pressure hoses feeding the pumper to a buildings FDC(fire hose connection)/standpipe as a last resort or in addition to using hydrants and large diameter hose and employing pumper mounted Waterus and Hale fire pumps and eventually using deluge guns for fire knockdown.

Jamie HallIntplm.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited March 22
    Options
    Everyone is missing the point.
    No one is getting it right.
    The object is being overlooked.
    The main idea is lost.
    Has anyone actually read the original Post?
    Is this helping in any way?
    W. T. F. !
    That stands for Water That Flows

What did you think I meant?

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

Everyone is missing the point.
    No one is getting it right.
    The object is being overlooked.
    The main idea is lost.
    Has anyone actually read the original Post?
    Is this helping in any way?
    W. T. F. !

That stands for Water That Flows

What did you think I meant?
    whiskey tango foxtrot
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options

Last I looked, the human heart is a semi-positive displacement pump, with characteristics similar to a diaphragm pump. Go back to med. school, or if you are already a doctor, kindly stay out of engineering.

Wow! Thank you for that kind, considerate response Jamie. Dude, you really have a chip on your shoulder. I offered the opinion of a cardiologist who wrote about it. Grow up.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options

Wow! Thank you for that kind, considerate response Jamie. Dude, you really have a chip on your shoulder. I offered the opinion of a cardiologist who wrote about it. Grow up.

Play nice boys!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,305
    Options

Play nice boys!
    Yes, thank you.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 25
    Options
    @Lance sez,
    All pumps are pumps. How we use them is defined by their application or purpose.
    I think is right. A pump moves a fluid against static pressure and a calculator moves a fluid without a concern for static pressure. That's my thinking and I'm sticking with it. But, I'm tired of pushing the difference. Tired of fighting the general consensus that everything is a pump.
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    Been calling them pumps for a long time.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    delcrossvPC7060
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 270
    Options
    In defense of all, I enjoy the arguments and discussions whereby we offer our various viewpoints and reasons for what we know. Often, it's just semantics, but we must all know the whys and the differences if we are going to understand each other. On the farm I learned different words for the same things, depending on who I talked to. I made sure to use the term they understood. I like sameness just as I like differences. There are men, then there are the others. ;) I had a computer programmer work with me, and I know little in their field, but I soon found out his forward slash was actually a backward slash. Any Typist from the 40's would know that. Fixing his nomenclature error made his instructions finally work. We are after all a technical industry.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    @Lance You are obviously outstanding in your field! As are many farmers from time to time.

Edward Young Retired

• Lance
    Options
    Ed, the most amazing tool I ever saw on the farm was when my boss took a spark plug out of the tractor engine and screwed in a hose to the plug's socket. He turned the engine on and the other end of the hose he inflated the tractor's tire. Blew my mind as I had never heard of such a thing. Later I realized the more I learned, the less I really knew about everything. When you are all alone in the mountains and you need help, you soon realize the only one who can help is yourself. So, you make it work. And that's what I do. Being that compliments are rare; it is truly a treasure to receive one. Thanks a bunch for the compliment.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,267
    Options
    Lance said:

Ed, the most amazing tool I ever saw on the farm was when my boss took a spark plug out of the tractor engine and screwed in a hose to the plug's socket. He turned the engine on and the other end of the hose he inflated the tractor's tire. Blew my mind as I had never heard of such a thing. Later I realized the more I learned, the less I really knew about everything. When you are all alone in the mountains and you need help, you soon realize the only one who can help is yourself. So, you make it work. And that's what I do. Being that compliments are rare; it is truly a treasure to receive one. Thanks a bunch for the compliment.

Fill the tire with fuel air mixture?
  • JDHW
    JDHW Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Years ago there was a motoring program on extreme vehicles. In one (I think Iceland) they were climbing snow/ice covered mountains with customised pickup trucks with massive tyres at low pressure. One of the tyres deflated and the solution was to spray in lighter fuels (butane) and then a match. Very fast and effective and saves money on a barber.

John
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • leonz
    Options
    Some folks still use propane or acetylene to seat the bead on tires by just laying the tire and rim on the ground and squirting gas in the tire and standing back as they throw a lit match on the tire.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • leonz
    Options
    jumper said:

Lance said:

This was the very common way to inflate a tire.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,344
    Options
    jumper said:

Lance said:

Yep. Works fine. Beats hauling an air compressor out to the back forty...

I've never been too keen on seating beads with propane. It usually does work, but... when it doesn't... hope you're not too close.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited March 29
    Options

jumper said:

Lance said:

Yep. Works fine. Beats hauling an air compressor out to the back forty...

I've never been too keen on seating beads with propane. It usually does work, but... when it doesn't... hope you're not too close.
    Then that farmer is no longer outstanding in his field. More like on his A$$ in his field

Edward Young Retired

• Lance
    Options
    OUTSTANDING IN HIS FIELD, HILARIOUS. More like doing aerial surveying. Love it! :D
    EdTheHeaterMan