Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Dope

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I use exclusively Megaloc lately. In the past I’ve used Rectorseal #5 because that’s what an old timer told me was the best on steam boilers. For a time I used T plus 2 that worked pretty good too. Now I like to use certain dopes for certain situations, for example I like using Blue Block on 5” and up fittings and a few wraps of lamp wick seals them good. For oil lines I like Leak Lock. For gas lines steam lines hot water boilers I use a few wraps of Blue Monster tape and a light coating of Megaloc.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Dave0176 said:

I use exclusively Megaloc lately. In the past I’ve used Rectorseal #5 because that’s what an old timer told me was the best on steam boilers. For a time I used T plus 2 that worked pretty good too. Now I like to use certain dopes for certain situations, for example I like using Blue Block on 5” and up fittings and a few wraps of lamp wick seals them good. For oil lines I like Leak Lock. For gas lines steam lines hot water boilers I use a few wraps of Blue Monster tape and a light coating of Megaloc.

You do tape + dope on NG piping as well?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited September 2020
    Options
    ChrisJ said:
    Yes, but tape isnt messy, has worked very well for me (tape alone is better than dope alone) just my experience. 

Frankly, the time really isnt much different. I just hate dopey messes, and leaks more!

You get more leaks with dope?
    Yes. I've had several leaks when I used dope alone (hot water heat) I used tape & dope for many years and pretty much never had a leak. Now I use tape alone and still never have a leak. I use dope only on gas and oil lines, never had a leak there, but gas and oil are very low pressure. 

Edit: I have never worked with NG, as its several hours drive away where it stops. Only LPG and I've never had a leak there. Generally 10 psi or less. Even doing LP tank fittings i used Dope alone (Gasoila) and never had a leak there. 

On flaired copper (gas and oil) I use Nylog on the flair surface for safe measure. We are required to pressure test to at least 2x the working pressure of all gas line work. About half gas line work is black iron and half is flaired soft copper. I do not use CCST anywhere. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    ChrisJ