Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Staple up radiant heat - How to bleed air

Options
ewang
ewang Member Posts: 77
I will be installing staple up radiant heating with aluminum plates. My house is a quad level, so the highest point of the water loops will be the staple up radiant pex.

My question is, do I need to install a bleeder or air-vent in the concealed ceiling?
My worry is that eventually, it will need to be replaced and there isn't a good place to hide it.

Will I be able to fill the system and adequately purge the air, assuming I have the appropriate air removal devices in the rest of my loop?

Thanks!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Will you have a remote manifold? Often times the manifold up in a closet becomes the high point for the upper level loops.

Or are all loops going back to the mechanical room?

Install an auto vent on the manifolds, to help remove air, the rest you should be able to power purge when you fill.

A good micro-bubble separator at the boiler will do 99% of the air removal once flowing.
    Here is an example of the manifolds up in the building somewhere.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ewang
    Options
    All loops will be going to the basement for ease of control and location of manifolds.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    As long as you give yourself the ability to individually power purge the loops, you should be good to go. Pay attention to be sure you are "pumping away"
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    MikeL_2
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Connect all your loops to a manifold that has isolation valves on each loop. Purge one or two loops at a time, valve off, move to the next. That assures a good flow to move the air. A fast fill valve or purge pump will speed up the process.

Avoid ups and downs.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ewang
    Options
    Thanks all! I shouldn't have any air traps, just the ups and downs when it travels up the wall to the joist area.

Zman - what do you mean by pumping away? Do you mean during fill, or that my radiant circ's should be drawing vs pushing those loops?
  • ewang
    Options
    Zman - I see what you are saying. Nicely explained in this video, to pump away from the boiler...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMLwFeYNYKs
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Here are some graphics to help understand pumping away from the expansion tank.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    Tricky to fill and pressurize but an inverted U above ceiling going back down to basement.......