Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suction diffusers. Are there hard and fast rules about when to use or not to bother?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
I am led to believe that there is a minimum number of pipe diameters required before a suction diffuser becomes desired or necessary. Can anyone share with me what those parameters might be?
Thank you!
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
Fractoggen

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    I would say that the minimum inlet distance of straight pipe as required by the pump manufacturer would be the main factor for selecting these. I can't recall a generic rule for these , I wan't to say 2.5 times diameter but then again I see that straight ones are available so I'm doubting that one , lol.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    In most cases the piping layout in mechanical rooms is such that you usually (but not always) can't get the room you need.

Suction diffusers do a bunch of things:
    Vanes straighten flow going into pump
    Strainer (and usually a start up strainer as well) inside
    Most suction diffusers are reducing fittings as well you may have a 6" inlet and a 4" into the pump

So it saves on not having a separate strainer and a reducing fitting.

Most of the pump mfgs like to quote there pumps with a suction diffuser and a triple duty valve on the discharge
    Fractoggen
  • JohnNY

In most cases the piping layout in mechanical rooms is such that you usually (but not always) can't get the room you need.

Exactly my problem. The job I'm on will require an additional $3,000 worth of diffusers unless I can figure out a way to eliminate/reduce turbulent flow.
    It's annoying.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Fractoggen
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    12 pipe diameters is a common number to use for piping on the suction side.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JohnNY
  • JohnNY
    hot_rod said:

12 pipe diameters is a common number to use for piping on the suction side.

Thank you VERY much, @hot_rod .

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Gary Jansen_4
    Gary Jansen_4 Member Posts: 77
    Going back through my notes from years ago attending classes by both B&G and Taco. both recommended a straight length of pipe equal to a minimum of 10 times the inside pipe diameter of the intended suction line. So a 2" ID suction would need a minimum of 20"of straight pipe before entering the pump.
    Additionally, if you are using an eccentric fitting before the pump, to transition from pipe to a pump flange, the "flat" side of the eccentric should be at the top side. If the "slope" of the eccentric is on top, you risk having air trap in that offset area.
    Again, we are talking minimums, so depending on your velocity, more length may be better.
    Thanks, Gary
    Fractoggen
  • Gary Jansen_4
    Gary Jansen_4 Member Posts: 77
    I can remember any number of projects that I have gone on to do boiler or pump startups over the years. No suction diffusers used. What may have seemed a minor technicality at the time, but I now realize the importance of it. The engineered and mechanical drawings always showed a long sweep elbow, then the straight pipe where the suction line dropped down to the return of the pump. Now I know it was to eliminate turbulence and provide laminar flow, as much as possible, into the pump inlet.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Its been a long time since I opened this but I know its in here
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Who ever the pump MFG is I would follow their direction. I have tried to save money and not use them. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

The suction diffuser takes the place of:

The long turn suction elbow (because ) you don't run pipe on the floor

a strainer

a reducing fitting because suction diffusers can be ordered reducing

When you look at it this way the $$$$$ don't hurt as much
    BillyO
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Everything depends on how much room you have for the long straight piping and long turn ell.

In some cases the suction diffuser can be a more economicall install. Larger pumps with large piping have a labor cost attributed to the job.

Unfortunately, some times you need to do the dance in the office
    to determine what will fit into the budget.

How about when a vibration pad is spec. into the job. Do you buy the rails and pour the concrete or do you farm it out?

Jake
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,175
    I might add -- probably quite unnecessarily --to the various above comments that provision of a diffuser -- or the suggested long elbows and straight pipe -- is more critical if the net positive suction head at the pump is relatively low. Relative being an impossible to define term. The objective there being to ensure that the turbulence does not result in a low pressure area and localized cavitation. The other aspect of it is that turbulence at the inlet an result in unbalanced loading on the impeller, and resulting vibration or accelerated seal or bearing wear.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England