Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GFI protection for heat pumps and ac units.

solradman
solradman Member Posts: 58
How are pros handling the new requirement for GFCI protection now needed per the 2020 National Electric Code on outdoor heat pump and ac units.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,084
    I have been reading the 2020 code book. I haven't found a GFCI requirement for condensing units only for window units 3 types of protection mentioned.

If I missed it please set me straight as to which article it is in
    HVACNUTSTEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,047
    Is a 220v GFCI service disconnect or circuit breaker available? 
    That revision has to be for plug in units.
    STEVEusaPA
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,356
    edited August 2020
    HVACNUT said:

Is a 220v GFCI service disconnect or circuit breaker available? 
    That revision has to be for plug in units.

There are 2 pole gfci breakers available. They were expensive last I looked, but it is the only way to protect certain types of circuits.
    HVACNUT
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Required on hot tubs for ages now, I think. 2 pole 50 amp 30mA trip (IIRC) is common.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    IIRC, from cont ed NEC class, AC & HP as it was.
    Hot tubs always have needed GFCI, maybe 50-60 amp 240 vac CB.
    New item though, if range or dryer is within 6' of any sink then GFCI required for those appliances, again IIUC.

The code for residential would be simpler if they just listed what does NOT need GFCI or AFCI protection, just about everything needs to be covered in a house or resi garage.

I may have to buy the 2020 NEC book, I have coasted with the 2017 NEC and cont ed hours....also ask inspector for clarification.
    Another $100.00 spend close to retirement. :/
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I have been online at some electrical forums and according to what I am getting the GFCI requirement applies to "outdoor outlets" in "dwelling units"

So it doesn't apply to commercial or industrial.

And there definition of an "outlet" is anything that uses electrical energy, lights, HVAC and receptacles. Outlet does not mean a receptacle.

So yes it appears to me and others I have been in contact with that yes at a Dwelling outdoor outlets including HVAC equipment now have to be GFCI

2 pole GFCI breakers are available

The code section they are referring me to is 210.8 F 2020 code
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    I suppose now I'll have to buy that damn book.
    "The Book of Exceptions" is another title for it. :)
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    Typically, house GFIs are required for personnel protection. Why would they now require them to protect equipment in houses?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Don’t most window units have a GFCI on the plug as a newer requirement anyway.  

Does the indoor unit need a GFCI too then?   How about the 100a breaker feeding lager heat kits?   
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,356

Don’t most window units have a GFCI on the plug as a newer requirement anyway.  

what about coordinated protection?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    @motoguy128 , GFCI not required for indoor units.

@Ironman , I was skeptical when the read the original OPs post. I haven't been to my 2020 code update class yet due to what else....the virus but I did blow $120 on the new book.

I went on an electrical forum that is pretty good and posted the question. The code requires GFCI on all outdoor "outlets" this is for "dwellings" only not commercial.

The code defines an "outlet" as any point that electric power is used, Receptacles, equipment etc. There are exceptions for outdoor lighting and snow melt cable if supplied by a receptacle that is out of reach

When I first read the code book and it said outlets I thought receptacles and was quickly reminded what the definition of an outlet is. Guys over there are sharp.

If you not on 2020 code yet I guess you can ignore it for now. A lot of state are slow to adopt. Unlucky for me MA. is always first in line