Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can undersized boiler work in a vapor/vacuum system?

Options
2»

Comments

• vapor1
    vapor1 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks, @Jamie Hall
    1920's home, ~947 sq ft EDR mostly convectors in walls behind grills, Utica PEG300CDE net IBR 182300 BTU/HR (760 sq ft), 2 pipe, gravity return, single Webster 0023 Vent Trap (missing stainless ball which allowed vacuum) serving the dry returns and the ends of the steam mains, former condensate pump removed, Warren Webster traps
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    On a lot of 2 pipe vapor vacuum systems I have come across w steel or copper finned convectors usually have no valves being the convector is usually Orificed . Usually on indirect convectors ( hung in duct work ) there be a gate style shut off but I ve never come across one that has a orificed style . I guess your waiting till that Utica is done and replace w a proper piped boiler and then most of your issue will disappear and your gas bill will go down also and comfort level up peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • vapor1
    vapor1 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Yes, @clammy . Thank you for your comments.
    Stay safe and well.
    1920's home, ~947 sq ft EDR mostly convectors in walls behind grills, Utica PEG300CDE net IBR 182300 BTU/HR (760 sq ft), 2 pipe, gravity return, single Webster 0023 Vent Trap (missing stainless ball which allowed vacuum) serving the dry returns and the ends of the steam mains, former condensate pump removed, Warren Webster traps