Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos or not? Thoughts?

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
edited April 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
A friend has this in her attic and she's wondering if it's asbestos. Thoughts? Thanks.

Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Probably what is called "rock wool" or mineral wool. And the only way to tell whether it has asbestos in it is to have it tested. Try your local health department.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Looks like the old kraft faced fiberglass, with reinforced paper like brown packing tape is made of. Just nylon and fiberglass IMO
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I agree with Jamie, it could have some asbestos in it.

I have crawled a few attics with that product. It is very irritating to the respiratory system. I didn't always wear a dusk mask so can certainly attest to that. Much worse than any fiberglass.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If you can wait a few weeks for results the testing price goes way down. If you want the results tomorrow then the price goes up. When in doubt test it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    I agree with Rock Wool.

For asbestos yes or no it M U S T be tested.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I say no
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, There is a rule about disposing of fifty pounds or less being a far simpler job. Do you know how much of this stuff needs to be removed? And it does look like rock wool to me.

Yours, Larry
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks so much to all. She’s going to have it tested. I appreciate your fine eyes and experience.
    Retired and loving it.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    edited April 2020
    Looks like it could be cotton too. My parents have some bats that were shoved under a cantilevered closet that say cotton something and look a lot like that. Of course if it is cotton did they add asbestos to fireproof it.

It also looks like rocwool. Really cant tell the texture from a picture.