Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this mean leaking? junk it? fix it? replace? -- >>>Steam Radiator

LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
edited April 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello everybody,

Attached below are two pictures of the same rusting of steam radiator.

When I run the heat high, I have not noticed any steam coming from this heater where the rusting is at.)

(Q-1) Is there a way to fix this radiator, such as clean the rust and spay paint (spray paint for heat and rust?

(picture one is view from top, picture two is a view from side )

Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I wish my radiators looked that nice...

A very good guide to whether you have a significant (that is to say, worth trying to fix) leak is how much water you need to add to the boiler. A gallon a month? No problem. A couple of quarts a week? Maybe take a deeper look.

If it is really a leak it usually can be fixed, but it does mean separating the sections and either replacing the nipple between them or doing it the good ol' boy way by reinforcing the nipple and seal with red RTV.

What I'm seeing, though, looks pretty minor. Wire brush with vigour, a good primer, and a matching paint.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • LS123
    @Jamie Hall Thank you! There is no significant amount of water I need to add to the steam boiler. few times I ran the boiler until every radiator was finish making hissing sound but this radiator did not leak steam from where it is rusted. Will clean it up and paint it accordingly. Thank you again!!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    How low is your steam pressure?
    That may make the difference of leaking or not.
    LS123
  • LS123
    i think it is at 1 psi. I have an 70 old oil steam cast iron radiator heaters. this is the only one been like since i been at this house for about 4 years.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    I was told that I could do a pressure test for each radiator, perhaps 30 psi?
    (Q-1) where do I find tools, machines etc to do a pressure test on each radiator?
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @LS123

If it has not gotten worse in 4 years I wouldn't be concerned.

If you do find it leaking get a "new one" at a salvage yard and just replace it
    LS123
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Don't do a pressure test. Please don't Especially at 30 psi. That's 20 times what your boiler should be running at, and I can guarantee you it will create all sorts of leaks that you didn't have before. Not helpful.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • LS123
    thank you @Jamie Hall
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    slap some jb weld on it and paint it. Or, high temp rtv. It is likely to be slightly less than 1 psi at the radiator.
    LS123
  • LS123
    @SlamDunk
    Thank you !
    Thank you!
    @LS123