Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Restoring exquisite antique radiator covers?

Options
david_and_heather
david_and_heather Member Posts: 28
edited April 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
My house has four of these incredible radiator covers. That's metal, with some kind of paint applied to give them a wood pattern. The previous owner told me that they were original to the house.

Unfortunately, either she or an earlier owner appear to have placed beverages on two of the radiators, resulting in destruction of the pattern on the top of the covers. There is also some white paint splatter. And my 3-year-old daughter has made it a habit of assaulting the covers whenever she wishes to demonstrate her displeasure.

I have no idea how this pattern was even created, let alone how one would go about repairing the damage. But I would love to restore these to their original glory. Anyone know a company that does such things? For that matter, does anyone know where these radiator covers came from in the first place, and how they were made?

If it helps, the house was build in 1924, renovated in 1958, and is near Newark, NJ.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    If you can find one...…….Cabinet Maker

Any finishing carpenter should be capable of restoring those.

Very nice By the Way
  • david_and_heather
    Options
    @pecmsg even though they are made of metal? I don't think there's actually any wood involved--just some kind of paint or coating that makes it look like wood.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    edited April 2020
    Options

@pecmsg even though they are made of metal? I don't think there's actually any wood involved--just some kind of paint or coating that makes it look like wood.

Was not aware of that. Now you need an experienced painter or possibly one of these

They make fancier ones. A tin knocker can cut and insert
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    You'll probably find it hard to repair the faux wood finish but there are people who still practice the craft of faux wood painting. might need the refinish the whole surface. That's all I have.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    STEVEusaPA
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    what about a local art school, right now there shut for the virus, but I am sure if you give a art school a donation they would hook you up.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    "faux wood". Very popular at one time. There are craftspeople out there who know how to do it (sorry, I don't have a recommendation). I do know that it isn't easy.. until you get the hang of it. As, @pecmsg suggested, maybe a cabinet maker could -- or would know someone who could.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • david_and_heather
    Options
    Thanks all!