Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Blower in a freestanding NG stove -- more heat?

doughpat
doughpat Member Posts: 36
I have a free-standing natural gas fireplace (Lopi Greenfield) in a relatively large livingroom/kitchen. The ceilings are vaulted to about 12' in the center. There is a ceiling fan that we run most of the time in order to keep the air "mixed".

I installed a blower in the gas stove in an attempt to improve efficiency. The blower makes an annoying buzz (I believe theres a transformer in there) and the fan is relatively loud. Also, the stove is on the kitchen circuit (I know, it probaby shouldnt be--I didn't do it!), so whenever the coffee machine/instant-pot/sous-vide cooker is running, the voltage drop causes the blower speed to vary. Its annoying.

I'm wondering how much efficiency I'm really gaining from using this fan. I read somewhere that most of the heat from a gas stove is emitted as radiant heat and that a fan wouldn't change that. That being said, if you put your hand directly in the 'exhaust' port of the blower, it gets much much warmer than if the fan isn't running.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    I think more than anything, you should be concerned about an overloaded electrical circuit and starting a fire. Get rid of the fan. Like now.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,977
    You're not gaining much. Not worth the racket and the hazard -- any stratification of hot air in your space you're taking care of with the ceiling fan much more effectively.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zman