Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just added a new baseboard loop in bonus room, wiring question

Options
wrxz24
wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
Hi evryone, I just finished a baseboard loop in my bonus room. During construction of my house 2006, the piping to the original boiler was put in. All I had to do was make the connections to the new baseboard and voila, heat. However, I changed out my boiler in 2012 to a Triangle Tube because my entire downstairs is radiant. (concrete)

So my current set up is this, I have wired all my radiant zones together (3) ( (Main living, garage, and master bedroom)) in a taco 6 ( original relay that also controlled and indirect Water heater) relay with one tstat (with floor sensor) which is then wired to the CH 2 on the boiler. So when I get a call for heat, all 3 pumps run. However, I also have one upstairs baseboard zone and that pump and tstat is wired directly to the CH1 on the boiler (priority zone) . So when the upstairs calls for heat, the boiler heats to the water to the outdoor reset curve and the radiant heat have mixing valves so the floor doesn't over heat. When my radiant calls, the CH2 outdoor reset makes water for those zones so I get the benefit of my condensing boiler. However with this set up, the upstairs zone runs as well. Now that I have 2 zones with 2 pumps, I am not sure how to make this work with my existing set up (which isn't ideal but I made it work with my current set up. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have one zone for down stairs and on zone for upstairs so I would have had less short cycling..... So my question is this, what are my options? (Repiping is not an option right now although that would probably be ideal!) BTW, boiler is piped primary secondary.

1) Buy a separate relay for CH1
2) Get a new controls where my radiant zone can run separate from my baseboard (currently the CH1 (basebaord) has priority over the radiant, however, when my radiant is running, the baseboard circulator runs too ( no way around this with my current set up) or
3) Can I somehow splice the 2 baseboard pumps together so they operate at the same time on a single thermostat call without having to buy another relay.

Thanks in advance

Comments