Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard zone pump running with no heat call

wrxz24
wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
I am running 2 separate curves (bb and slab)on my triangle tube 110 with the trimax control.

The ch 1 curve is my bb and my ch 2 is my high mass radiant zone.

I just discovered that when only the ch 2 zone is calling, it also has the bb circulator run as well.

I have my bb pump wired to ch1/diverter valve on the trimax control and the tstat wired to the ch1 tstat location on the trimax.

The in slab zones are coming off a relay and wired into the ch2/system pump on the trimax and the tstat from the relay is wired into the ch2 tstat location on the trimax.

Not sure if it is wired correctly. Thanks in advance.

Edit: actually, the factory installed pump is wired into the ch 2/system pump.

The relay for the slab is wired into the power supply on the boiler.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Is this a PTS or a PTE?

If it's a PTE 110 the Boiler circulator is enabled for all calls, so I'm assuming it's probably a PTS 110.  Page 10 in the Control Supplement explains your options -- you probably want to change the System Pump setting from CH1/CH2 to CH2.
  • wrxz24
    edited December 2013
    will that

prevent the system pump from running when just the baseboard zone is calling which is CH1 for my set up?

And it is a solo.  Thanks for the response and Merry Christmas.
  • SWEI
    edited December 2013
    From the Control Supplement

Try this
  • wrxz24
    it looks like that

will disable the system pump or just the CH2 pump?
  • SWEI
    edited December 2013
    I think it's a terminology thing

The use of the phrase "System Pump" seems odd when you have a designated "Auxiliary Boiler Pump" output.  If you look at the high voltage terminal strip, you will see that System Pump and CH2 are the same terminals.  What matters is the logic in the table, and that looks right for what I believe you have (one pump for each zone, no boiler pump.) 
  • wrxz24
    There is a pump

Inside the boiler cabinet with each zone having its own circulator. Is that the boiler pump you are referring to?

What is the auxillary pump outlett for?
  • wrxz24
    edited December 2013
    I tried the ch2 setting

And when the ch2 was calling, the baseboard zone didn't run so that was good. But when the baseboard zone calls, the inboiler pump does not run.

I am at a lost.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Check ALL wiring connections...

You might have lost a neutral some place and are getting back feed.

Power down before you go hunting so as not to fry yourself. Starting the New Year dead is not a good way to start the New Year...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Can't get there from here...

I think you have found a limitation in the trimax controller.

If I remember correctly, you have a solo 110 with DHW piped in parallel out of the boiler.  You then have a circ for ch1 and a circ for ch2 on the system side.

If the "aux boiler pump" was setup to give DHW priority, you would be in business.

I don't think the logic on the trimax controller will allow it to control your piping arrangement correctly. It looks like a software issue that they could update, that doesn't help you today.

A simple pump relay wired to CH2 would solve the problem. The Taco SR501 or similar relay would do the trick.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • SWEI
    Kinda looks that way

Is it possible to rewire the System Pump so it's fed from the Aux Boiler Pump terminals?
  • Zman
    You could...

The boiler pump would be running during a DHW call. Since the zone pumps would be off you would still have priority.  I think I would use a relay.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    I can't wire

Anything to the ch2 terminal because the system pump is already wired in. My relay for my 3 in slab zones is wired to the power supply on the trimax. Where would I wire the new relay to?

I already thought about the aux output but that pump runs on a dhw call.
  • Zman
    How?

How are you wired now?

What is wired to ch1

The boiler does not need to control the circulatory.

If you add a relay, it can control circ instead of the boiler.

Do your radiant zones have their own circs?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    Right now

I have the power from the sr5 relay to the power supply on the trimax. The tstat from the relay is wired into the low volt ch2, This controls all 3 slab zones each with their own pump.

The single baseboard circulator is wired to the ch1 terminal on the trimax . Tstat is wired to the ch1 low volt terminal.

The boiler pump is wired to the ch2/system pump terminal.

The dhw pump is wired to the dhw terminal.

The aux pump is empty.

Piped pri/sec
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited December 2013
    Look

http://www.triangletube.com/documents/1/Prestige%20%20110%20TriMax%20Manual%200313.pdf

Look at Fig. 23....The boiler pump needs to be wired to CH1 Pump Diverter Valve.It appears as though only the boiler pump and DHW pump are connected at that terminal strip. They have made it about as confusing as they could.All other circs need to be controlled by external relays with dry contact for the CH1 and CH2 on the left of the strip. I honestly think they confused themselves when writing the I&O.
  • wrxz24
    2 relays

So where does this new relay need to be wired to for power? At the boiler? Or to somewhere else?

Right now, i have power to the relay box and then to the boiler. Would i get power to the new relay from the other relay and then to boiler and then just the 2 tstat wires to the low voltage strip?

Very confusing and frustrating.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    headache

It might be a good idea to contact them directly, and let them sort it out for you.
  • jt3
    jt3 Member Posts: 31
    This Might Help

Similar problem when my system first installed.  Solo 110 w/Trimax control.  Two zones plus indirect hot water tank (4 circulators total)  Talked to TT for correct wiring.

Zone 1 wired to CH Pump Terminals 32-34

Zone 2 wired to System Pump Terminals 23-25

Indirect Hot Water wired to DHW Terminals 29-31

Boiler Pump wired to Boiler Pump Terminals 26-28

In Settings Used The Following:

Heating Operation = Enabled

Demand Type = Swt & Outdoor Reset

CH2 Circuit = Enabled

Pump Constant Circulation = Disabled

System Pump = CH2

Both my zones are baseboard but if you have 2 circulators, one for baseboard and 1 for radiant, this should get them operating when a thermostat calls for heat in the appropriate zone.

• wrxz24
    Thanks but

Does boiler pump run during a domestic hot water call? And where is your power coming from? Any relays?
  • jt3
    WR

My boiler pump runs whenever a circulater runs. On a call for heat, the boiler pump comes on to circulate water through the heat exchanger. If the water being circulated is cooler than the Target Temperature, the boiler fires to raise the water temp. If the water is warmer than the Target Temperature (I have a buffer tank), the boiler pump runs but the boiler doesn't fire until the water temp is lower than the target temp.

• wrxz24
    Power

How is your boiler wired for power? Mine is wired from a taco sr relay. I assume your power comes from the electric panel.
  • jt3
    Correct WR

Boiler is wired through a standard light switch. (On its own circuit) While the boiler has a switch on the front panel, the installer added another one next the boiler. I know for oil fired boilers a switch is required at the boiler and another switch outside the boiler room as emergency shutoff. (per MA Regulations unless changed in the last few years) Not sure if additional switch is required for gas boilers or the installer just added it.

• wrxz24
    With my set up

The power comes from the relay box. So, i could wire the boiler from the electric panel.

Keep power to the relay but wire the relay for my slab zones to ch2 input and the tstat to low volt ch2.

Wire my baseboard pump to ch 1 and tstat to low volt ch1

Wire the boiler pump to the auxillary input.
  • jt3
    WR - Just Make Sure

That when the boiler is firing, the boiler pump is ON. I'm not a boiler guy, just a homeowner with a Solo 110 who had a similar problem. My boiler ended up being oversized even thorough it was only 2/3 the size of the one it replaced. Added a buffer tank to reduce the short cycling. Just need to figure out if there is a reasonable way to keep the boiler pump from activating when a zone is activated and drawing from the buffer tank that is above the Target Temperature.

• wrxz24
    Thanks for the advice

I assume if i can get both power to the boiler and my relay and wire it like you had yours wired, i should be all set.

I am away right now and will look into it when I get home.

Thanks
  • Zman
    Jt3

Jt3 has different piping arrangement.

You need to add a relay to do what you are trying to do.

I seriously doubt that your boiler is powered by the pump relay. It wouldn't work if it was.

You likely have a junction where the boiler and the relay share the same circuit.

Just add a single zone relay to control the circulator and be done with it.

You can wire it just like the relay you have.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    There is a wire that comes

From the relay to the boiler that is connected to the power supply on the trimax. I assume the power goes to the relay and then to the boiler.

So the new relay needs power from the same circuit and the run the tstat to ch1 on the low volt.
  • Zman
    Relay

The relay should not be controlling the power to the boiler. It sounds like someone made a junction at the relay to power the boiler. The boiler power should only be disconnected by a LWCO or service disconnect.

The new relay could use the same power source as the boiler and existing relay.

You could post a picture.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.