Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combining 2 zones into 1?

wrxz24
wrxz24 Member Posts: 301
I have a triangle tube solo 110 that i just piped primary secondary. 3 of the 5 zones are infloor radiant. 1 is for the main part of the house, 1 is master bed/bath and the other is garage. I would like to combine the main and bed and bath together and wire it to the low temp (ch2) of the triangle tube.

What i would like to do is have one tstat to control 2 zones but not sure how to wire it to the trimax control.

Right now i have a taco sr 506 that is wired to the (ch1) terminal on the trimax and the radiant zones have a mixing valve but i would like to start utilizing the low temp curve on the tt..

Since i prefer to have my bedroom a little cooler, i could just keep the mixing valve set lower than what the curve wants to supply so the room would never hit the t-stat setting. I could set the main mix valve to 120 to benefit the heating curve and bedroom to lets say 85. Possible?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    Seems simple enough

Yes, can't you simply disconnect the stat from the bedroom TT, and jump liv circ power to the bed circ?

I don't quote understand your communication glitch to the boiler, yet if need be simply install a rib relay and when your circ powers up you can send a n/o signal to your boiler

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • wrxz24
    Can I

Wire both circs to the trimax ch2 and wire the one tstat that controls both zones? Probably not that easy huh?

I dont want to use the taco relay because i want to use the low temp heating curve that the bolier provides.

My baseboard zones use the relay which is wired to the high temp heating curve on trimax control panel.
  • GW
    edited November 2013
    Wiring

I'm sorry, I don't know the control on your boiler. I also can't determine what your control experience is either. Do you have a mixing valve that is operated off of the boilers logic? If yes, or new question, you simply want to run two circs off of one thermostat ? I may be missing something. If we spoke on the phone I could understand much faster.

You can run 10 zones off of that one circ output, you just need a relay control.

I am familiar with Viessmann. One their boilers you need a rather expensive independent control if you want multiple constant circulation / modulating mixing zones

If you just want a signal to the boiler for low temp, that is easily done with a RIB relay

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • wrxz24
    my current set up

is I have a taco sr506 wired to the Central heating 1 terminal on the TT trimax control board. There are 5 zones on the relay. CH 1 terminal has its own Heating curve so when any call is made for heat, the same temp water is made. 3 of my zones are low temp radiant zones which have mixing valves for each zone for protection. Each zone has its own circulator. The other two are for baseboard.

The triangle tube also has a separate heating terminal to hook up a low temp circulator.

My question is this, is there a way for me to wire two circulators to one input location on the trimax? I then could use one Tstat. I know you said to use a rib relay. How would I use that with conjunction with my set up I have now. Thanks in advance.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    2 for 1

The CH2 can handle up to 2.5 amps. What type of circs are you looking at.

You may be able to power both.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    edited November 2013
    Taco 007

Carl, not sure if you saw my update on the gas heating forum. I am the guy that had multiple questions on my newly installed triangle tube. Thanks to you i was able to pipe my boiler correctly. Thanks again. Anyway i have taco 007's and i would like if possible to power 2 007's from the ch 2 and using one tstat.
  • wrxz24
    It looks as though

The amperage of the taco 007 is .71.
  • GW
    wire them both

your math is working out, just wire them both in.

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Zman
    Hmm

It looks like the relay has the capacity. Unfortunately, I don't see that the logic on the boiler control is set up for that with your existing piping.

It would be easy to keep the zones as is using a sr502 or combine them with an sr501.

I am glad thing are coming together on your system,

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    Logic

Yeah my logic is odd to say the least. Basically, i have 2 infloor radiant heat zones each with a taco 007 that I would like to run at the same time when just one tstat calls for heat.

Both zones each have a mixing valve to combine boiler water with return water. I would like to set one of the mixing valves to 120 for protection and the other one which is my bedroom and bath to 90 no matter the boiler supply temp. Both circulators will run from the ch 2 terminal on the trimax control with outdoor reset.

So lets say the tstat calls for boiler to make 100 degree water, one of the zones that has the 120 degrre setting on the mixing valve would get 100 degrees and the zone that has the 90 degree setting on the mix valve still gets 90 degrees.

Why i want to do this? I like my bedroom to stay cooler than the rest of the downstairs so if i keep the temp of water low, it wont get hot in the room but still gets a little heat each time the tstat from the main part of the house calls plus I would get less short cycling from the boiler if the bedroom/bath was just calling.

So essentially, the ch 2 terminal,would allow two pumps to run at the same time on the low temp curve. Do i just pig tail the wiring together and just wire it to the ch 2 circulator terminal and run the tstat that i want to use on the tstat terminal?

Could it be that easy? I hope.
  • Zman

I think you will need a 501.

If you look at the tables in the trimax supplement, you cannot get the CH2 circ to turn on the way you want leaving the CH1 controlled correctly for your piping.The 501 is not expensive and will take care of the issue.

The 501 will control the circs with the TT wired to CH2 demand.

I would still use a curve for CH1 and CH2. The mixing valve would function as a "not to exceed".

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    Suppose I just had one ciculator

Could i wire to the trimax terminal to run the ch 2 curve working together with the sr 506 wired to the ch 1 and having priority?

Another question, how does the boiler know how many circulators are running if i combine the wires together and wire to the terminal?

Thanks, Pete
  • Zman
    Control mode

The problem is that the boiler control does not have a setting that will allow CH1 to be enabled at the same time as CH2 and for CH1 to be enabled separately.

It is just a limitation in the internal programing of the boiler.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • wrxz24
    I thought

That is if there are simultaneous ch1 calls and ch2 calls, the boiler would operate at the highest temperature setting and that a mix valve would be needed for the low temp zones?
This discussion has been closed.