Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit

Trying to identify this item-gas?

creger.robertcreger.robert Member Posts: 18


  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 6,924
    edited March 1
    Is it connected to those, what appear to be, water lines?

    And where do those 2 small copper lines go to?
  • FredFred Member Posts: 8,422
    It looks like a splitter of some kind but I doubt it is gas??? Doesn't look like it's connected to anything other than the one line. Is it just laying on the pipe, below it? What's on the backside of it?
  • HomerJSmithHomerJSmith Member Posts: 923
    A gas pressure regulator with an atmospheric vent?
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Member Posts: 3,369
    Who am I, Kreskin?
    What's under the foil and pipe insulation?
    Looks like a regulator.
  • mattmia2mattmia2 Member Posts: 1,318
    What does the end with the flange connections that looks like they are either blanked off or open look like?
  • ZmanZman Member Posts: 5,831
    A picture of the other side would help.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EdTheHeaterManEdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 572
    Is that an oil to gas conversion valve? or does it change water into wine? :D

    Need a picture of the other side!
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 6,924
    Old school 100 pound LPG bottles sometimes had a special regulator connected to both bottles. It would somehow switch to your second bottle when the first run low.
    Those regs would have been outside at the bottles though.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 6,924
    I see now just one copper connected......the other is a mortar joint.....bad eyes.

    I just looked thru old 1980's Fisher and Rego catalogs and the auto change over regulators don't look like that.
    There are apparently auto change over regs for campers/RV's etc.

    Another oddity I have come across is some basements are mixing valves for WC supply. A little warm water into the tank keeps it from sweating.

    All those were brass though.
    I think those got coded out for energy standards etc.
    Now almost all houses have AC so tanks not sweating as much.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 11,004
    Until we get a picture of the other side, which probably has writing on it...........

    I don't see this going anywhere.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • unclejohnunclejohn Member Posts: 1,554
    I think its part of the hookie pookie.
  • retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 221
    It looks like a very old pneumatic valve actuator. Is this thing in a large building with or at 1 time had pneumatic temperature controls
  • EdTheHeaterManEdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 572
    unclejohn said:

    I think its part of the hookie pookie.

    ...just turn yourself around!

    Now that 's what it's all about!

  • mattmia2mattmia2 Member Posts: 1,318
    Knowing where that tubing goes seems important. Is it or was it attached to something in that location or did someone just shove the whole thing in the basement 50 years ago.
  • BillyOBillyO Member Posts: 190
    looks like its attached to bracket but not pipe
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!