Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator noise? Here's what some smart guy says about it in Martha Stewart Living.

Comments

• BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    great article John, She has an awesome Italian cheesecake recipe! Hope all is well, Bill O'Rourke
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    edited February 2020
    That was a great article John but a study of the 1 pipe noisy system was needed to see how long it had been installed and could the original boiler have been fired with coal. If the original boiler was fired with coal which heats up slowly, keeps a fire in the fire box most of the heating season and is now fired with a fuel that is controlled by a thermostat, the system needs to be re-engineered to allow for the rapid steam production, the on/off of the burner, and the extra condensate that results. One of the worst contributors to the excess condensate was from the installation of a new smaller boiler that had a small steam chest or that were not designed to produce dry steam. The fix for the noise could be a variety of things such as adding drips, traps, trying different radiator and main line vents, and etc, to drain the excess condensate before it gets to the radiators. In most cases fixes were not easy and a lot were trial and error and in many cases I thought I could hear the "dead men" groan.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230

That was a great article John but a study of the 1 pipe noisy system was needed to see how long it had been installed and could the original boiler have been fired with coal. If the original boiler was fired with coal which heats up slowly, keeps a fire in the fire box most of the heating season and is now fired with a fuel that is controlled by a thermostat, the system needs to be re-engineered to allow for the rapid steam production, the on/off of the burner, and the extra condensate that results. One of the worst contributors to the excess condensate was from the installation of a new smaller boiler that had a small steam chest or that were not designed to produce dry steam. The fix for the noise could be a variety of things such as adding drips, traps, trying different radiator and main line vents, and etc, to drain the excess condensate before it gets to the radiators. In most cases fixes were not easy and a lot were trial and error and in many cases I thought I could hear the "dead men" groan.

You're kidding me, right?

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SlamDunkBillyOCanucker