Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Programming option, Viessmann B2HA

JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,447
edited February 14 in THE MAIN WALL
I yet again find myself in the highly unfortunate position of having to commission two Viessmann Vitodens B2HA boilers and the display of ancient hieroglyphics they call a control. I need to run them without the outdoor sensors for a week or so while some other work is completed on the building but the boilers don't like to run without it and they go into alert which is not ideal.
If someone here knows how to program the boiler to ignore the missing outdoor sensor, I would thank you for passing that process along to me.
For troubleshooting and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
"72°F Mechanical, LLC"
Or email John at [email protected]
John is the Boilers and Hydronic Heating Systems Course Instructor at NYC's Mechanics Institute, a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
John also oversees mechanical installations and maintenance for metro-area clients with his family's company, Gateway Plumbing and Heating along with his brother/business partner.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 7,088
    I don't know but

What if you found the resistance of the outdoor sensor at say 20 degrees outdoor air and buy a resistor and wire it in
    mattmia2
  • Paul PolletsPaul Pollets Member Posts: 3,294
    You'll likely have to contact the Toronto (Waterloo) office to get the answer. 800-387-7373 ask for Jeff Cox
  • Alan (California Radiant) ForbesAlan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 2,357
    edited February 14
    The Viessmann Application Guide is very handy for setting operation parameters.

Click here, scroll down the list and highlight "Vitodens 200-W, B2HA" and then click on "Application Guide". Page 30 has the instructions you're looking for from the Setup Wizard.

Often wrong, never in doubt.

Click here to learn more about this contractor.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,447

The Viessmann Application Guide is very handy for setting operation parameters.

Click here, scroll down the list and highlight "Vitodens 200-W, B2HA" and then click on "Application Guide". Page 30 has the instructions you're looking for from the Setup Wizard.

Interesting, Alan. Thank you.

For troubleshooting and private consulting services, find John "JohnNY" Cataneo here at :
    "72°F Mechanical, LLC"
    John is the Boilers and Hydronic Heating Systems Course Instructor at NYC's Mechanics Institute, a professional Master Plumber, licensed by The Department of Buildings of The City of New York, and works extensively in NYC while consulting for clients in and out of state.
    John also oversees mechanical installations and maintenance for metro-area clients with his family's company, Gateway Plumbing and Heating along with his brother/business partner.
  • JohnNYJohnNY Member Posts: 2,447

I don't know but

What if you found the resistance of the outdoor sensor at say 20 degrees outdoor air and buy a resistor and wire it in

This is funny. I actually took two of the resistors that come with Taco relays now and put them in series to clear the missing sensor fault. It reads 147° but it worked to make DHW. Great minds think alike? Thanks for chiming in.
    "72°F Mechanical, LLC"
    @JohnNY
    I am far from a controls expert. But if a sensor is bad (or non existent) you can sometimes fool a system by disconnecting or jumping the sensor or in this case faking it out.

Probably somewhere in the Viessmann material it will have a chart for the sensor outdoor air versus resistance
  • mattmia2mattmia2 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 15

@JohnNY
    I am far from a controls expert. But if a sensor is bad (or non existent) you can sometimes fool a system by disconnecting or jumping the sensor or in this case faking it out.

Probably somewhere in the Viessmann material it will have a chart for the sensor outdoor air versus resistance

hopefully it will also go in to a default mode if it is shorted.

Of course you would hope that for it being open as well.
  • ratioratio Member Posts: 2,485
    I just remembered about these in another thread. Maybe one of them would work, & allow you to complete the ODR as well?
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    @ratio
    those sensors look like a lifesaver on some jobs. Hopefully they are dependable. Indoor range is 2000 feet.

Based on passed experience with Trane wireless sensors used as thermostats on a job 5 years ago I have my doubts. They would work in some buildings depending on wall construction and picking up "noise" from other building wiring but were not reliable in all cases. + the battery issue