Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water meter for make-up water steam boiler

t hardy
t hardy Member Posts: 29
any suggestions for a meter to watch how much make-up water my steam boiler is using - thanks much
B_Sloane

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    edited January 2020
    Use a VXT auto feeder. Even if you don't use the auto-feed function, you can have it track the gallons added manually. Or @Gordo will correct me if I'm mistaken!

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Hydrolevel-VXT-24V-Automatic-Water-Feeder-24V-10669000-p?utm_source=HeatingHelp
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    GordoHap_Hazzard
  • t hardy
    thanks - this is for my new Burnham megasteam boiler which is using a working MD auto feeder - just want something to stick in line with that - to spot minor leaks/problems early
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    I always recommended a water meter on the make-up line for any steam boiler that was on an older steam system. My thought was that the meter was a good indicator of the integrity of the whole system especially the piping. Many times we would get a phone call from a customer saying that his system was using more water than normal and that a leak was suspected or something needed serviced.
  • Lard
    Lard Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2020
    I am using an EKM remote-read meter. It stores two years of usage data and has been instrumental in efforts to repair leaks. It pushes to a remote server (not for everyone.....) but has local data storage options. It is overkill for single-family residential, but great for larger systems.

Photo is a screenshot of two years’ data as of today, 5 minutes ago. It is nice seeing only a few quarts a week rather than how last year looked! :s

For your situation, it seems like you want a good ‘ol nutating disc water meter (a small version of what cities use for water service). They are inexpensive but require manual reading to catch problems.
  • Precaud
    Precaud Member Posts: 370
    Lard said:

I am using an EKM remote-read meter. It stores two years of usage data and has been instrumental in efforts to repair leaks.

Good pun, and well-played... :)
    1950's Bryant boiler in a 1-pipe steam system at 7,000 ft in northern NM, where basements are rare.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I was able to obtain used 3/4" water meters from our utility as they are changing to WIFI reading with new meters.
    I tested the flow into 5 gallon buckets and found them to be accurate. They will read as low as one gallon on the large needle.

They can be checked during blow down for needle advancement to insure they are working.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I put on a cheap meter from Amazon. The numbers are even English numerals and units are gallons. I think it was $40 or less.

It works. I put it downstream of both the manual and auto feeders.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    mikeg2015 said:

I put on a cheap meter from Amazon. The numbers are even English numerals and units are gallons. I think it was $40 or less.

It works. I put it downstream of both the manual and auto feeders.

Can you show us which one you used?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • t hardy
    I would like to use a VXT hydrolevel meter to track usage but want to keep my existing MD feeder - has anyone done this?
    thanks much