Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dhw circ pump replace or repair?

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
This taco pump is making a racket now.
Was looking at replacements, looks like you can put a new motor in and save the housing?
What would you do? Replace the whole thing or replace the motor?
It was also installed in the vertical position. I flipped the picture over just for reading.
I think I read somewhere here on this forum that these small pumps are the exception to the rule of always having to be mounted with the shaft sideways.
If I do replace it I'll certainly put it in side ways.
I also think this pump may be a little fast for this particular application.
I've got another home just like this one where the 90 right after the pump developed a pinhole leak, perhaps cavitation?
If I replace do you have a favorite model of circ pump for this application? Three story 3000 square foot home?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    get one of the new smart, ECM types, save power and add features
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    CBRobdelta T
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    Please call into Taco Tech Support at 401-942-8000. We are here from 8am-5pm EST. You always can replace the cartridge or we can go over some options for a new recirc. pump.
    CBRob
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Replace and install as manufacture says.
    CBRob
  • hot_rod
    keep in mind that is probably a leaded brass body, time to upgrade to stainless :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    CBRob
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    edited January 2020
    Just to compare; the recirc pump I installed in my home (4000 sq ft and 3.5 bathrooms) is a B&G bronze, modelNBF-8S rated at .39 amps, the smallest pump they had, and it works great. I was afraid that the flow even with this small pump would be too much so I made a 1/4" orfice and installed it in the discharge of the pump.I also installed it with a cheap timer so the run time is 15 minutes each hour, with extended run times in the morning and evening. Mine has run perfectly for 15+ years.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    If it is mounted incorrectly to begin with, I would suggest replacing the whole thing. Constant circ models like that waste electricity and eventually wear out your pipes.
    Something along these lines would work well.
    http://www.tacocomfort.com/products/systems/instant_hot_water/smartplus/index.html
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2020
    We prefer to install dhw recirculating pumps wired in series with a timer and strap on aquastat. Typically, the timer is set for a morning run time, and an evening run time. We also like to insulate all water piping.
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    CBRob Member Posts: 273
    > @Zman said:
    > If it is mounted incorrectly to begin with, I would suggest replacing the whole thing. Constant circ models like that waste electricity and eventually wear out your pipes.
    > Something along these lines would work well.
    > http://www.tacocomfort.com/products/systems/instant_hot_water/smartplus/index.html

Double checked the install instructions.
    This pump is ok to be vertical as long as it is over 20 psi.

Supply house has a cartridge for 100.00

A new pump is over 300.00

Expensive little pump.
  • hot_rod
    Plenty of options, brands and sizes if you want a basic small recirc pump.
    Add a lamp timer and or thermostat to limit run times and heat loss, as @MikeL mentioned.

Is the piping insulated? If not a timer would cut down on the cost of the heat loss and motor consumption.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SuperTech
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I’ll add that another control choice is “demand control”. It’s available from different sources, but is far and away the most energy efficient option. It can be activated with a button or motion sensor.
    Yours, Larry
    CBRob