Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"Flooded" radiator

Options
I'm Brother Max, a Franciscan religious brother in the South Bronx. We've got One-pipe steam, in what used to be a convent, 5 floors. A radiator on the 2nd floor spurts water from the air vent, even a brand new one. It doesn't happen elsewhere in the building. I know I've got wet steam, but the other radiators seem ok. Ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi Brother Max!

What is the size of the vent? A slower one might do better (if the water is due to extra-fast condensation in the cold radiator).

Is the radiator sloped toward the pipe side? Check with a level across the top. Proper slope will keep extra condensate from collecting in the radiator.

What is the pressure setting on your boiler?

You said "spurts". Do you mean like a steady stream of spraying water, or do you mean some dribbling/dripping?

How do you know you have wet steam? Can that be improved? Maybe we can help you improve it.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    In addition to @ethicalpaul 's comments, check the pipes leading to that one radiator. It's possible that a length of what should be a pipe gently sloping away from the radiator has shifted to slope to the radiator -- another place to trap condensate and have it spurt out of the vent. Although that arrangement will usually have a water hammer associated with it, not always...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    The condensate is not draining from the radiator.
    1. Check to see if the radiator shut off valve is fully open.
    2. check to see if the radiator pitched in the right direction. The back of the radiator must be slightly higher than the steam inlet side.
    3. Wet steam is not an issue in radiators as steam becomes water when the energy BTUs are used up.

Jake