Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Closed Cell spray foam and wet return pipes

Options
Matthewdg73
Matthewdg73 Member Posts: 38
Greetings all!
When I was getting my basement remodeled and was way more ignorant than I am now I had closed cell spray foam applied to the basement walls. Now, the original wet return lines were in poor condition so I had those replaced. My concern now is if the spray foam that was applied over those wet return lines will cause problems down the road. When it was getting done at the time I didn't think anything of it or knew very little about my heating system. thx

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    It might. Then again, it might not. I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest single problem I can think of would be the possibility of a leak in the wet return which you wouldn't be able to see as easily.

Is the spray foam of the close cell variety? If so, it may actually protect the lines from external corrosion.

What material was used for the new wet returns?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Matthewdg73
    Options
    Jamie,

The spray foam is the closed cell type and the material to the best of my understanding is black steel piping.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I daresay if you are talking about new black pipe wet returns, then you won't be living at that house when a problem occurs.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Matthewdg73
  • Matthewdg73
    Options

I daresay if you are talking about new black pipe wet returns, then you won't be living at that house when a problem occurs.

That is a relief to know :smile:
    ethicalpaul