Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil furnace fan not running

Options
JHolden
JHolden Member Posts: 4
I have a issue with my oil furnace I am trying to diagnose. The issue is on the fan/motor on the exhaust vent. When the furnace tries to kick on the motor buzzes and tries to run but seems to be stuck. If I open the circular port of the vent pipe I can turn the shaft by hand and help it, to start and runs OK, and the furnace lights and all is great until it shuts off. When the power is off the shaft/fan spin freely. Is the motor dead? or is it the capacitor? or something elsoe I havent figured out.

I need to get this fixed soon as we are in Maine, its cold and I have a 8 month old. We have a wood stove, and backup heat but I would like to get the primary heat back online.

The whole unit is similar to the amazon link below, however a slightly different arrangement its expensive so I would rather just replace one specific part of this assembly if possible

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CDAOFG/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_i_JyGeEb33ZJVRH

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,334
    Options
    It may be just the start capacitor is shot. You could try replacing that, but it must be an exact match as to size and voltage.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited January 2020
    Options
    A competent tech will quickly and easily find, diagnose and fix the problem. It's not something you want to do yourself.
    For example, it could be the capacitor. You waste your time, go to a supply house, and probably get charged homeowner price for the part.
    If that doesn't work, then what? The next 2 options you really can't do yourself, being motor/blower wheel replacement and/or fan/limit control, or control board.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JHolden
    Options
    I have a $200 repair budget, my fear is that a tech will eat the entire budget just diagnosing and leave me no better off.

@Jamie Hall Thanks, I have a meter so I will test the capacitor. I guess worst case its a motor replacement, I have found the part on eBay
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    JHolden said:

I have a $200 repair budget, my fear is that a tech will eat the entire budget just diagnosing and leave me no better off.

@Jamie Hall Thanks, I have a meter so I will test the capacitor. I guess worst case its a motor replacement, I have found the part on eBay

Do you know how to test a capacitor, is that meter capable of doing it?

Homeowners getting parts on flea bay scares me. Do you know why it went bad assuming it is?

Do you have the test equipment to check the pressure it produces?

Please your in over your head, get a qualified tech out.

Ask family, friends, church groups who they recommend.
  • JHolden
    Options
    I can take the capacitor into work and get it tested by one of our guys, is one option.

I do not know why it went bad. the furnace was running fine, then on two occasions it wouldn't start. On these occasions if I turned the shaft by hand it was able to get going. on the last time that didn't help at all. The furnace is 20 years old, 5 years ago we replaced the blower motor in the furnace and the nozzle.

I am over my head, I get that, but I need to learn how to do these things. I have a recommendation for a local guy so I will give him a call and see what he thinks.

If we have to put off the repair to the summer we will.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    A capacitor should be $20 or less so it's worth a shot.
    If that doesn't work you'll need a pro.
    Jolly Bodger
  • JHolden
    Options
    Thanks, I have ordered a capacitor, and a set of brushes for the motor
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Options
    It has been quite a while since I've played in oil. But I don't remember Brushes in the motors. Or motors with both brushes and capacitors?

If it has been 5 years since the nozzle has been changed and the burn adjusted, You may be money ahead to get in tuned up.
    SuperTech