Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please take a look at these

Options
Please forgive- totally new here. Owned our house a little more than year. So still figuring out this mess...
I have a one pipe steam system. Getting uneven heat so I've finally started to tackle the problem. Starting with seemingly obvious and going from there. But if anyone could take a look at pics below and shed any light possible. These "vents" (pics below) were at end of mains (two mains in the house). I took one off and tested it- no air flowed through at all. So I took it to local plumbing supply- the guy behind counter and another plumber there told me they were vacuum breakers for hot water systems. Obviously, they were wondering if I was some idiot that actually has a hot water system and doesn't know it.

Anyway- is there any good reason whey these would be be on my mains? And is there any problem with removing them and replacing with actual steam vents? I've already replaced one with a Gorton 1. I'm going to replace the other but was looking for some peace of mind that I'm not doing something wrong (and that the previous installation was actually correct). The previous home owners did some otherwise cockamamie things around the house so thinking it's just another thing done wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Well, since I'm only familiar with one-pipe steam systems, and I've never seen anything like those, they probably don't belong on your system.

How big are your mains (pipe size and length)?

Also, where are you located?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • msmor23
    msmor23 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    3.5 OD mains, one 32 feet, other 52 feet

I’m in northern Connecticut

Thanks for looking
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    So that's 3" pipe. You can probably use a Big Mouth vent on each main, maybe two on the longer one. Do you know what size fittings the vacuum breakers are screwed into? The Big Mouths have a ¾" male NPT fitting. With those bushings it looks like one size or the other might work.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Those are indeed vacuum breakers and I can think of no reason for them to be on your system. Well no good reason. Remove those bushings and replace them so you can build a 3/4 branch for some proper vents. Pictures of the system will help.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    Gordo
  • msmor23
    msmor23 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation on the vacuum breakers. At first glance It seemed so wrong that it made me think I must be wrong and there must be some reason for it. But previous owners did some squirrelly stuff (aside from heat) with the house so not surprised.

In any case, I’m going to get the mains vented correctly, then attempt to balance. As said earlier- I put that Gorton 1 on the longer main and I’m getting heat in 2 large rads that rarely go heat before. But that’s at expense of some of the rads on the shorter main. Should I get a Big Mouth (or antler 2 Gorton 1s) on longer main and one Gorton 1 on shorter?

I will post some pictures of the system- what’s good to see?

The mains are decently insulated. But only on the straight shots of pipe. The elbows are mostly exposed. And going to need to insulate the risers (all currently not insulated).

Again- thanks for the feedback. I’m relatively handy but this old house (1810) is kicking my rear (beyond just heating). So I reached out to a local guy that knows these systems but he’s booked til end of January (surprise surprise). So now I’m back to trying to figure out myself. So thanks for helping
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    I’d suggest two Big Mouths on the long main and one on the short main to start.
    What kind of vents are on the radiators, sounds like some are too fast and stealing steam from the others.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Options
    I'd start with a Big Mouth on each main and add more if needed. For example, if the radiators closest to your thermostat are on the shorter main, you'll probably want to add a second vent to the long main. Your Gorton #1 might be sufficient as a second vent on the long main.

Once you have the mains filling at about the same time, make sure the radiators closest to the thermostat have the slowest vents and radiators with the longest runouts have the quickest.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Where, exactly, in northern Connecticut?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England