Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Supply valve leak

Options
Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
in single pipe system. Had new floor put -in kitchen, installer removed radiator though told not to, my fault, I wasn't there when he instlled. Anyway, that was last spring, and I just noticed small puddle, the nut was loose, so i tightened it, still leaks between cycles. Leak is on radiator side of nut, so I'm thinking the radiator needs to be moved to put sealant on valve inlet. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Sealant doesn't usually work inside a union, but if you apply a little grease between the nut and the flange, you can generate more compression with the same amount of torque.

Unfortunately, it's not unusual for these to start leaking when they're moved, especially if it's not possible to put it together at the same angle, so I just keep tightening and hope for the best. Either it stops leaking or something breaks and you get a new valve.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    Intplm.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    And rock it gently while tightening after ensuring it’s very nicely aligned
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I have more often than I like, have put pipe dope on the face of a union. One of the reasons for pipe dope is to help fill imperfections in metals. So go ahead and give it a try.
  • Fizz
    Options
    Thanks for input guys!
  • Fizz
    Options
    Leak stopped, tried grease to threads, still leaked, then stretched some teflon tape into loosened nut, and it seems to be working.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Never Seize!
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Fizz said:

Leak stopped, tried grease to threads, still leaked, then stretched some teflon tape into loosened nut, and it seems to be working.

Great! I was skeptical, but I'm glad it worked. If it starts leaking again, don't lose heart. PTFE has a property called "creep," which causes it to slowly escape under pressure, but if it happens, you can just re-do it and maybe try adding more.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Fizz
    Options
    Thanks Hap!