Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing Steam valves on the main and radiators

Options
Martie
Martie Member Posts: 1
I know very little - I have a Trane 1938 convector style one pipe steam system with uneven heating throughout a Cape Cod home about 1400 sq ft. The home is 39 feet wide with the boiler being on one end , and the area of the home being cold on the other--both floors. I flushed the system as the glass fill was dirty and may have caused some clogs on the vents. I went to a plumbing supply store to change the valves in order to trouble shoot the system, as some of the convectors were heating, others were not. One main in the basement was no longer making sounds so I took a picture and brought it as well. On both mains was a Dole 1933 with a 1/4 inch stem. I was told this was an incorrect vent ( it is on the 2 main pipes and has been. I was sold a main valve vent with a 1/2 inch opening and told to remove the fitting which reduced the main pipes opening from 1/2 to 1/4 inch opening . I have been unable to remove the fitting placed on the main to allow the radiator style vent to fit. Will the 1/2 inch stem valve for the main be critical, as in must i get the rusted fitting off, or can I purchase if available a main valve with only a 1/4 inch stem? I am asking as all the actual convector units have a fitting reducer attached to each also, and the convector valves seem to all have 1/8 stems and I know have to reduce the size of the current opening from 1/4 or larger with an adapter as the stem sizes are all manufactured smaller. ( I am told the size of the stem does not make a difference for venting the individual convectors, as the size of the orifice only does, which seems to contradict the information regarding the main valve stem opening so I appreciate the knowledge and understanding of those who can share their advice and knowledge.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    That was a lot of words running along there but I think I found the question in there 😉

You really should get the reducers out because you want the full 1/2” available for your vents.

Photos? We can give tips for their removal, or any plumber should be able to, just don’t let him touch anything else unless he’s on this site.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    On the other hand, a Gorton #2 takes a 1/4 inch opening and is a really good big main vent -- so you could leave the reducer in there and use that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    A Gorton #2 is 1/2" connection.

A Gorton D is is the same as a Gorton #1 but with an 1/8" connection.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I think it's so weird that the #1 has a combination 1/2" and 3/4" thread but the much larger #2 only has 1/2". I'm sure it's some legacy reason.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el