Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Critique: New Heat and Indirect DHW

Options
2»

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    IDK about NY, but in my state if a contractor doesn't do the job right, or abandons it, he becomes liable for the cost of correcting or finishing it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Options
    @mikemac52

That sucks! But the silver lining (payed for out of your pocket) is that the system is going to be fixed and you wont be fighting chronic issues for years.

This is an example of why some plumbers need to stick to hot on left and **** runs downhill.
    Ironman
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    As more than one electrician has said to me when i've said "couldn't that start a fire?", that could be a blessing in disguise.

You have a contract with the GC to install equipment per the manufacturer's instructions, right? So it is the GC's problem to find someone who can read the manual.(if the near boiler piping is that bad, I would be concerned with what the rest of the system looks like. You might need to be on site with a copy of the mechanical section of the code when the mechanical inspector is there.)
  • mikemac52
    mikemac52 Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @hot_rod @Ironman @Jolly Bodger @mattmia2 @mikeg2015 @KC_Jones
    Met with new heating folks. (notice my change in terminology :) ) Ripping out most everything, cause was too small and all the other reasons you know about. New black pipe back to gas meter. New meter bar(?) G.C. stopped fighting and is paying all. 3 day refit. Hopefully in the house by the end of next week!
    The Tech said the NHB-150 was okay with the interior piping. He also wasn't concerned about running water through the unit without the filter which left me a little bit uncomfortable. The way he looked at the magnetic filter I ordered was as if they had never seen one. (They were taking pictures of it) But for today, everything else they said aligned with all my new found hydronics knowledge. Plus, I'm too tired not to go with it.
    Thanks all,
    Michael
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Jolly Bodger
    Options
    @mikemac52 post some pictures when the new install is done. It will be a good example for others who run into this.

I'm glad this is working out in the end. Glad we could help.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I'd definitely insist on having the dirtmag installed. As someone who has one I can say that they definitely work as advertised. Given the information that you provided in this thread I would say that you should have one on your boiler.
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Referring back to the installation manual: a dirt filter is required in the return line.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jolly Bodger
    Options
    @mikemac52 How is your system and situation now?