Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is the safest way to move a boiler down basement stairs?

2»

Comments

• kaltec
    kaltec Member Posts: 1
    350 pounds or under we use a dolly and ropes 600 pounds and under we use a stair climber anything above 600 pounds we order them in sections
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    edited June 2021

Many of the suggestions are good.
    I personally used an appliance had truck and placed 2 2x6" planks on the stairs and used a rope tied to the hand truck. The rope was secured to two studs at the wall above the stairs.
    Two men at the top holding the rope so the boiler would not decide to go it alone.
    Set the boiler and hand truck on the planks and let the load slide down the stairs slowly.

I had a wood boiler removed from by basement by a man that had a cart built special for that purpose. It looked like a small steel pallet with steel wheels recessed inside. Using pipes and a lever dolly he had that boiler across the cellar in a flash. Strapped the cart to the side, pushed the boiler over so the cart was on the planks, and up it went via the hydraulic crane on the truck. I don't think the whole operation took more than 15 minutes.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    Gets your wife to do it and sit down and have a beer.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Yes, check out Ethical Paul's pictures on the first page of this posting, also his avatar.
    ethicalpaul
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Use machinery.....and lots of other people who you can supervise....while you talk on the phone and price other jobs.... o:)
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!