Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper and steel mix on steam returns.

Options
Ron Jr._3
Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
We replaced a 30+ year old Peerless yesterday. Took some pics of where the return pipe transitions from copper to steel in a wet return.

BTW , the boiler was still ok. Customer wanted to upgrade before it became a problem.

Comments

• mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I’ve been under the belief that you should have brass for a transition between the two. If nothing else, it makes it easier to remove the copper or steel
    Pipe some day.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Should have brass, perhaps, but certainly not mandatory or the end of the world if you don't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    The transition from copper to steel wasn't the buildup point. It was coated throughout all the steel that was below the normal water line. The copper was still as smooth as a baby's bottom :)

I've heard that copper can flake off and put the iron. Or turn the system into one big battery. But in practice I haven't seen this phenomenon happen.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I’ve seen plenty of the battery affect on a lot of steam and hot water systems. We use a brass fitting to make the transition from copper to steel or vise versa.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Let me add a thought... copper to steel, quite possibly a problem. Copper to black iron... wouldn't worry so much.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England