Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Leaking water

Options
Abardis
Abardis Member Posts: 7
edited October 2019 in Oil Heating
HI ALL,

I am really new to forums but figured it was a good way to gain some knowledge and answers. I recently had my boiler serviced not even 48 hours ago for (annual service) and have now discovered water leaking from the bottom of the boiler onto the floor. The boiler is barely 2 years old and had probably seen about 8 months worth of use. I cant help but feel like whatever the person servicing the boiler did was the casue of my problem. I called the service guy and he asked me for pics and told me that i would need a new boiler. Can anyone shed some light on this situation winter is coming and i dont want this to drag out for months. From what i googled with my completely novice aproach to figuring this out, it seems like my boiler is cracked. Could this have happened from something the service guy did. I find it more plausable than such a new boiler going bad so soon.

Boiler: Peerless boiler
Model number: wbv-03
Burns oil
Uses hot water

I appoligize in advace for any technical terms i may not know i have next to zerow experince in this field, any answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Abardis.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I would get a hold of Peerless and have them send out a rep. They can help evaluate and hopefully warranty it.
    It seams pretty unlikely that the tech cracked a cast iron boiler.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Are you sure the leak is from the block and not a pipe connection or the relief valve?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Abardis
    Options
    Thank you z man that is a great idea i will try that asap. I dont think he cracked a cast iron boiler either physically speaking. Haha Just not sure if there was anything he did while servicing that lead to that happening.

Thank you again.
  • Abardis
    Options
    Hey iron man thank you for your feedback. I checked every fitting i could find and they all seem tight no leaks. Relief valve is dry as well. When i looked under the boiler to locate the source of the leak all i could see was drops. No pipes or reliefe valves near the area that could potentialy be the source. I posted some pics that might help.
  • Abardis
    Options
    I couldnt post a vid but i took a screenshot of multiple dripping locations.
  • Abardis
    Options
    Many other drip locations
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Top left, at the back of the boiler. The brass barrel looking thing. That's an air eliminator. They sometimes leak water. Get a flashlight and look there and down the side of the block, insulation, etc. You do NOT need a new boiler. There's also an 1 1/4" plug at the rear bottom as a second return location. Sometimes its not tight from the factory.
    DZoroJellis
  • Abardis
    Options
    Hhvacnut id like to thank you for your responce, i spent some time messing with the boiler and for now it seems like it was the brass barrel looking thing aka air eliminator lol looks like it dripped down the side as you said. It wasnt coming out from the valve while i was looking at it so it wasnt as obviouse to me yesterday, im guessing it was just leftover water after it purged going down the side and insulation as you said. Changed out the valve and running the boiler to see if anything leaks. Hopfully this is it. Second return valve checked and that seemed fine as well.

Thank you again
    Abardis.
  • Abardis
    Options
    Id like to thank everyone for taking the time to share their know how with me it is greatly appreciated. Saved me time and a butload of money and further frustration.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Good eye HVACNUT.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.