Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with 1 pipe steam in central NH

Options
I have 1 pipe steam in an old cape in central NH. There are 3 insulated mains off of the header with 2.5" od pipe: 28' w/ 2 risers, 36' w/ 4 risers and 40' with 3 risers but no vents on the mains. I managed to get a Gorton #2 vent in where there was a capped riser on the 40' main, but can not figure out how to get vents in the other mains with out cutting and threading which is out side of my comfort zone. The boiler is a willful American Standard which I believe is from the late 50's or early 60's and is 160000 btu, but but there is evidence of 7 abandoned risers. When I add up the radiation using the charts in the book I got 368 square feet which gave me 117-132m btus depending what pickup I use. The cellar is dirt (damp, unheated and uninsulated). My 83 year old father-in-law is going to be moving in with us some time this winter and is used to a 70 degree house, while we heat primarily with wood and keep it around 65, using the steam as back up on colder days, so the steam will become our primary heat once he arrives and I need to tune it up so it will heat as evenly and efficiently as possible. Any suggestions or referrals to someone who could help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I think your desire to focus first on the main venting is exactly right. (I wouldn't look at anything else until the main venting is ship-shape).

Here's how you find a contractor: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/

If you have trouble finding one, maybe we can help with venting ideas if you care to upload some photos. You'd be surprised what can work its way into your comfort zone haha

Sidenote: 7 abandoned risers and still 368 sq feet?? How big is this cape??
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    If your grand father lives into his 90's expect him to want temperatures in his area much hotter than 70 degrees. If you ever go into a nursing home, you will see many of the residents walking around with sweaters on while the area is 85-90 degrees complaining that it cold and they are freezing. I have been to many nursing homes. It is not a pretty picture.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    One more thing, your heating boiler must have been at one timefired with coal since there are no main line vents. Coal units were brought on in the fall and shut off in the spring, thus there was no need for main line steam vents.
  • WinniChoc
    WinniChoc Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The cape is actually 2 capes, a single story built in 1775 and the main cape with2 stories built in 1790. it's a total of about 2500 sq. ft. There are 9 radiators of varying sizes, one in each room. 3 of the abandoned risers led off into an ell of the house that had a separate boiler put in back in the 40's which has since been removed and is now serviced by heat pumps because we need heating, cooling and dehumidifying for our business. I have a friend who has the tools and experience (though not with steam) who can help me, I just want to make sure I do it right.
    As for needing higher temperatures in the future, I am afraid you are probably right, but I am hoping with this system properly tuned it will be able to provide that when needed. I also agree the original boiler was probably coal, I think it was installed sometime in the 20's.
    Some photos will follow.
    Thanks.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Do you have a copy of The Lost Art of Steam Heating? If not, get one and read it thoroughly. With it, and a competent plumber, a willingness to learn, the boiler's installation manual, and a little help from your friends here on the Wall, you'll have no problems.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul