Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How long should it take to cool down old steam boiler?

Options
I plan to replace my boiler in a couple of weeks and was hoping not to have to fire it up. Unfortunately the family got cold and now the boiler is running. It’s an old American Standard Arcoliner and I believe it holds 55 gallons. How long would it take to cool down to as to not cause any harm to someone taking it apart?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    A few hours to a day...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    tomsloancamp
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I would imagine after a couple of hours it would be cool enough to drain into a bucket without a steam cloud being released.
    Room temp may take longer if you have a floor drain you could drain it a little hotter I guess since you won't have to worry about melting a plastic bucket.

Once empty it will cool faster.
    tomsloancamp
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    If the old boiler is toast, you could let it cool a couple hours and then turn the fill valve on a little, watch the sight glass and raise the level slowly and open the boiler drain a little.
    This would cool down the CI eventually. Don't hit the hot CI with a lot of cold water. Just a small flow into the fill which should be in the lower part of the boiler.
    tomsloancampethicalpaul
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    I was at a house once where they must’ve ran it up to the moment we walked In The door

The floor was HOT for hours :(