Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dunham system fast venting questions

Options
I question how that little vent atop the dunham return trap can vent the whole house fast ? The system has a peerless oil steamer , large 5 bedroom home , original dunham componants , vapor- stat set correctly . Should i change the vent to a couple of gorton -2 s and will this help the entire system vent and then steam up quick ? Can you vent a vapor system too quick ? I always welcome your suggestions steamers !

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    No, you really can't vent a vapour system too fast -- but vents aren't cheap, so there's no point in going overboard. In your case, though, it may be that a bigger vent may help. Or vents. Try a Gorton #2 there and see what happens. While you are at it, check all the traps -- particularly the crossovers -- to make sure they are really working properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    If the system is set up for naturally induced vacuum, you really don't need much venting since once the air is pushed out, just a little bit comes back in through leaks. I'd set it up with a check valve and a Big Mouth if it doesn't already have a check valve in the vent.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • PMJ
    PMJ Member Posts: 1,265
    Options

If the system is set up for naturally induced vacuum, you really don't need much venting since once the air is pushed out, just a little bit comes back in through leaks. I'd set it up with a check valve and a Big Mouth if it doesn't already have a check valve in the vent.

Right. A very small vent gets it done then. You want quiet, fast and efficient response .... just get the air out once and keep it out.
    1926 1000EDR Mouat 2 pipe vapor system,1957 Bryant Boiler 463,000 BTU input, Natural vacuum operation with single solenoid vent, Custom PLC control