Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reduce heat in one room

Options
derf
derf Member Posts: 2
I live in an apartment that has a single zone oil heating system.I am trying to find a way to reduce the amount of heat going through one room only.I can not modify the system because I am not the owner. I have the adjustable flaps on the baseboard lowered, the door closed, but it is still too warm.
Would it be practicle to box in some of the heat strips?

Comments

• MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 490
    Options
    Derf,
    Closing the damper will reduce the baseboard heat output; blocking the space between the front cover and floor will affect the output as well.......
  • derf
    derf Member Posts: 2
    Options
    "blocking the space between the front cover and floor will affect the output as well".... Thanks for your response. I assume you mean the amount of heat passing through the baseboard I just remembered I have about 8 feet of baseboard beyond the room I am trying to reduce the heat in, will that effect that section.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    No, it won't. What it will do is reduce the air circulating through that length of baseboard, but it won't affect anything beyond that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,970
    Options
    What type of control to the heating do you have? Do you have a thermostat ??
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Cover the baseboard with a nice folded quilt or blanket?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    DZoro
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 907
    Options
    You could cover the finned tube with tin foil a little at a time until you reduce the heat in that room to a comfortable level. The tin foil will be hidden inside the enclosure.