Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will making holes in a wall help spread the heated air from the kitchen to the bedroom?

agora
agora Member Posts: 2
Hi guys,

We would like to prepare ourselves better for the winter months.

In the kitchen, there is a big old wood stove we use for cooking and heating (it cannot heat the whole house but it drastically helps :smile: ) . Unfortunately, the kitchen is narrow and long and the stove is located far away from the door.

Our kitchen and our bedroom share a wall. I was thinking of letting some of this warm air (and it is VERY warm, much warmer than the other stove in the living room makes) in our bedroom by making a few openings in the wall.

Is it a good idea?
(I know that it won't be ideal with kitchen smells and noise - I'm an early riser and like to get a head start with cooking, oups :blush: )

How big should these holes be and where should I put them?

The stove is about: 1,4m/55 inches tall, 0.87m / 33 inches inches long and 0.69m/ 27 inches wide.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    To effectively do this, I would recommend cutting in a supply and return register and using a duct fan to move the air. You would need to approximate the heat loss of the bedroom to figure out the required flow rates.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,110
    As @Zman says, just cutting holes won't help much. However, if you cut one opening near the top of the wall -- where the warm air collects -- and put registers and a fan in it (there are any number of good sources for duct fans) and then provide another opening -- bigger -- with registers at least for looks -- near the bottom of the wall, you could get very good results.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • agora
    agora Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much!!!
    If I manage to do this, I'll post a photo here :smile: