Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smith Burner burning the shielding over the cleanout

Did norman maintenance that I have been doing. Changed filter, nozzle. cleaned out stove pipe, rodded out soot from side of burner Then when I turn it on, is is burning through the cleanout cover. Insulation burned. I have pictures and video. This platform does not allow me to upload the video. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Something seriously wrong with the way the burner is set up. You don't say what kind of burner -- but it doesn't matter; it's not right.

Any ideas? Yes. Turn the thing off at the emergency switch and leave it off until a competent, trained technician with the proper measuring instruments can get to it and figure out what's wrong and fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BILLSARDONE
    BILLSARDONE Member Posts: 4
    its off,,, it is a HB Smith oil burner
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    The Smith series 8 is a good boiler. It either has a Carlin or a Beckett burner most likely. If you getting flame and or soot and smoke out of the site port it's most likely a draft issue.
  • BILLSARDONE
    hmm...I will check
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    Bill,
    I get you want to do this yourself,
    I like to tinker also,
    but this is life and death(possible),
    Do you have working CO detectors?
    get them first,
    leave the boiler off.
    known to beat dead horses
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Did you perform combustion analysis?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BILLSARDONE
    I have not done a combustion analysis. The boiler is in a small building that I built on the side of the house. So not in a basement. There aren't very many parts to this. Filter (new) transformer, control box and nozzle.
    When I had an issue last with it tripping into safety...I bit the bullet and called in outside heating guys. They test draft, nozzle...bottom line...found no issue.

This year is when I am getting this issue of the burning of the insulation on the inside of the cleanout panel. Ugh
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    If they didn't do a combustion test, they didn't do their job. Period.

There is something seriously wrong with that setup -- it could be as simple as draught. It could be the wrong nozzle entirely. It could be the pump pressure is off. It could be...

Get someone in there with the right equipment to actually do a combustion test -- and make sure that the nozzle is the correct one for that boiler, and that the pressures are all correct.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker