Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

AK recommendation?

Pointbock
Pointbock Member Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi All,

Mostly this starts with the need for a new roof. To eliminate one more roof penetration and to up the efficiency of our heating (home and water,) we're in the market for a modcon and indirect water heater, unless someone can convince me other wise. (I don't think a combi is the right thing for us.)

Current situation: ~1800 sq ft, 2 story, just north of Anchorage, 70K 80% WM boiler (NG,) and a separate 50gal water heater (don't know why they didn't go indirect from the start,) tube/fin baseboard. The house was built in '96 (2x6, windows are okay) and I believe boiler and WH are original. Just two of us with typical household water needs (no big tubs, etc.)

I'm putting our heat load at 40K, so the current boiler isn't too oversized (cap 56K) but I don't know why there's a separate 50K, 50 gal water heater. I'm learning just enough to know how much I don't know, but it seems that an 80K modcon with a 10:1 turndown and a 40 gal indirect should work well for our needs. This should be a pretty easy install, two zones, room to work and easy access from the crawlspace if gas/electric/plumbing (condensate line) need to be moved/installed. We'd like to gain a little space to move a cabinet and add a laundry sink, if possible - a wall mounted boiler might help.

We have had a couple of quotes, but we asked about combi's at that time, and everything seemed so oversized (to handle water heating, I understand now.) We've liked most of the service guys that we've seen but haven't really liked any of the sales staff (not uncommon for me.)

We're looking for a good recommendation for Chugiak, AK (99567.) Eagle River, Anchorage, Wasilla, Palmer are all options. I don't think that RickinAlaska is here anymore, and the "find a Contractor" doesn't cover AK. Any good contractors to recommend, and/or product lines? I think HTP gets some love around here but closest sales contact shows as MT, though I know there are local dealers. Burnham/US Boiler?

Thanks,

Tory

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Zman said:
    He's your man. Finest kind.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Rich_49
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    What's the Design Day Temperature by you? The other guys know more but my silly question is, can a mod con give you the SWT you need on a Design Day? The few I'm familiar with top out around 190°.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    HVACNUT said:

What's the Design Day Temperature by you? The other guys know more but my silly question is, can a mod con give you the SWT you need on a Design Day? The few I'm familiar with top out around 190°.

Residential heating running over 190?
    The only reservation I would have with a mod/con in AK would be parts and service.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Sounds like fun, and thanks for the kudos, but Homer is over 250 miles away. Big state.
    To pointblock; I would get hold of either Keller supply, Ferguson, or Pacific Plumbing for contractors in your area
    Rick
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @Zman said:
    > (Quote)
    > Residential heating running over 190?
    > The only reservation I would have with a mod/con in AK would be parts and service.

I've spent many days over the years raising aquastats from 180° to 200° on design days and below to satisfy thermostats.
    Zman
  • Pointbock
    HVACNUT said:

Anchorage isn't too bad, -18 to -23 depending on the source. Fairbanks/Interior AK is a different story.
  • Pointbock

Sounds like fun, and thanks for the kudos, but Homer is over 250 miles away. Big state.

To pointblock; I would get hold of either Keller supply, Ferguson, or Pacific Plumbing for contractors in your area

Rick

Thanks Rick. (Sorry I wrote "DaninAK" in my original post - he's a guy on another forum.)

Are you still in Homer?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Yes I am still in Homer, but currently in Washington for a few more days.
    Rick