Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Adapter for radiator valve when tail piece (stub) is too short

EdwinDEdwinD Posts: 131Member
edited August 22 in Strictly Steam
Just an FYI,

I installed a new 3/4" radiator valve, but the tail piece is too short. The distance between the tail piece and radiator is an additional 1/4" longer than what appears in the picture. The reason being, a portion of the old stub is still in the radiator, which I had to cut, saw and chip out.

I found a solution using a 3/4" Female x 3/4" Male Nipple Bush Adapter . I tried joining a close nipple with 3/4" coupler -- yet it was too long.

Here's the final result.

Comments

• JakeCKJakeCK Posts: 72Member
    Does that say 304 stainless? Will that cause an issue with dissimilar metals because of the cast iron rad?
  • EdwinDEdwinD Posts: 131Member
    edited September 5
    @JakeCK Correct - it says 304 stainless. Thanks - good pickup. Now that you mention it, I'm more concerned with the brass and stainless steel 304 interaction. I found a similar brass fitting to arrive tomorrow. Thanks.
  • CanuckerCanucker Posts: 540Member
    If it's hot water heating it won't matter. There shouldn't be enough oxygen in the water to support the galvanic reaction
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    @Canucker Thanks. Its a steam boiler - two pipe system.
    edited September 5
    I switched out the stainless adapter for a brass one (Brass Pipe Adapter 3/4" FNPT x 3/4" MNPT) from Amazon. It is about 1-1/2" in length. Just what I needed.

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Posts: 758Member
    Looks great
    1 pipe Utica 112 in Cedar Grove, NJ, 1913 coal > oil > NG