Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Best Practice to unclog fuel lines

AlexMinolfoAlexMinolfo Posts: 3Member
edited August 5 in Gas Heating
Hi All,

I am currently researching the standard method to unclogging fuel lines connecting heating tanks to furnaces.

Is there a best practice manual or standard for how to remove the clog?

If not, what is the typical industry solution?

Thanks,
Alex Minolfo

EDIT: See comment for clarification

Comments

• Tim McElwainTim McElwain Posts: 4,248Member
    Are you referring to the gas line to the equipment? You need to be more specific in describing exactly what you are talking about.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,672Member
    like to start with -- are we talking oil, natural gas, LP?
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • AlexMinolfoAlexMinolfo Posts: 3Member
    Hi Jamie and Tim,

I am specifically talking about the fuel pipe connecting an above ground storage tank containing #2 fuel oil to a residential heating furnace.

I apologize for the ambiguity this is my first time posting on here.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • JellisJellis Posts: 128Member
    I use the Co2 Blowout tool for this. remove the fuel line from the tank and the fuel pump. blow the crud into a waste container (carefully) and then flush the line out with clean fuel.
  • Robert O'BrienRobert O'Brien Posts: 3,136Member
    NORA strongly recommends against the use of CO2 cartridges, they can develop pressures in excess of 800 PSI and can rupture copper oil lines. A hand push/pull pump is the preferred method
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 3,083Member
    Agree totally with @Robert O'Brien
    If you can’t unclog it with a push pull, replace it.
    Also important to determine why it clogged, or even if it’s clogged. Could be pinhole in supply tube in tank.
    -Bad fuel
    -Dirty tank
    Both would require draining/cleaning tank and/or additives.
    -Filter not at tank
    -Collapsed/pinched fuel line.
    steve
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,330Member
    And no offense, but if you're researching you need to call a Pro. That is not DIY. You dont wants an "oops" with a tank full of fuel oil.
  • AlexMinolfoAlexMinolfo Posts: 3Member
    edited August 9
    @HVATNUT , None taken. I won't be performing any of this myself. I am simply gathering information to find a
    cite-able source (i.e. manual, standard) for a report I am writing.