Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Micro channel failure

Well this was the first one that I have seen ,I did not install but the original installer from what I was told was there 2 season and added Freon and she was non functional end of last year . So airing to the caution I pressure test found the leak isolated and ensured line set and coil where not a issue also .saddest part is that it would have been warranties but the original installer chose to refill 2 times instead of just trying to get the customer warranty very sad .even through the original coil and line set where good I wanted no issues and did a new line set coil and condenser and of course no micro channel .on a sadder note as with most new equipment there no hi or low pressure controls so the compressor just kept goin doing nothing . saddest part is the other micro channel unit is also developed a leak and of course the warranty is about done and the original installer is not answering calls .i had quoted the job also and they are friends and chose the cheapest price not realizing that there is a difference .on a side note the outdoor unit where not dirty I’m kinda glad I never installed and micro channels and stay away from alum coils except for some trane units and there design is not micro channel but a pia to clean peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    What make?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    It was a lux Aire 14 seer . Even though there on the lower price point I have seen luxair in the most shabbiest of installation practices and still function and run for years .there defiantly not my go to plus I’m not one to cheap out on equipment but like any equipment if installed properly and set up correctly should function properly unless it’s due to design flawes .good thing I didn’t jump on that micro channel band wagon there’s alot of plus to its up side but having a coil leak on a condenser on residential equipment doesn’t fill me w a fuzzy warm feeling .just saying I have had coils leak from other issues but not mid coil no visiable damage also not at a end . Very small leak a crack . Peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Micro channel coils are here to stay. Don't rack them during transport and installs and there fine!
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Not to be negative time will truly tell but they are cheap to manufacturer require less refregerant supposedly as per there abilities at temp-transferred superior to copper aluminum fin but are far easier to damage and may become work hardened over time but heck what the hell do I know .i know there here to stay and the end consumer will be the unknowing one w the bad taste .i would love to see what the life cycle on one is as compared to a standard coil w all the tree huggers it may shoot it’s self not that I’m against aluminum It is just in that arrangement micro channel time will tell as say compared to a trane allium condenser coil brushed coil ,we all know in Evaporators they have been used for years and everyone has had leakers but there heat transfer great but remenber this coil serves a different purpose n see s different temps and pressure Haven’t seen one as a evaporator ? peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The issue I see on the refrigeration end is when the install crew rolls the unit or doesn't level properly.
  • woodrow
    woodrow Member Posts: 40
    not a fan installed one and replaced it already 14 seer also had to replace the evap also. wont install another and yes its on a roof with leveling legs brazed in with nitrogen poorly made product
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Like everything else we will "test the junk in the field" for the manufacturers don't test at all like they should. When they have enough failures they will come up with a fix