Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fijitsu

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Has anyone ever installed a Medium Static Pressure Duct I’m thinking two ton for three bedrooms on second floor

Comments

• mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Not the medium pressure, only the low pressure. Low pressure requires oversized ductwork and best to use all metal (insulated) to keep static pressure low. But is a lot more efficient. I think medium pressure is low efficiency than standard split except in very mild weather.

Needs to have ductwork laid out like any other system. Large filter grill or 5” media filter on the return.

IF installed in an attic, need R8 insulation with vapor barrier and mastic on all joints to seal it up.

I would try and find a closet and locate the equipment if possible inside the conditioned space. 1) easier ot service 2) less losses since coil starts at room temperature on startup. 3) no winter freezing issues for drain.

Make sure you use the heating or run the fan on low in winter or cold ductwork in an attic will fill with condensation.

For only a little more, could just do 3 small heads or ceiling cassettes depending on access. More effficient and will be zoned and no duct losses.

I wish I had gone that route on my own home for my upstairs system.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The duct work is critical. Static pressure must be kept to a absolute minimum.

I’ve installed a few but with straight ducts and there supply grills!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Need a poll—-how many guys actually know how to check pressure 😄
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    > @GW said:
    > Need a poll—-how many guys actually know how to check pressure 😄

Refrigerant or Static?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Static, it’s like everything else, simple once you know where to stick the drill bit

(who can’t screw on a gauge hose) 😄
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com