Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSST for low pressure steam line?

Options
rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
edited April 2019 in Strictly Steam
I have to replace a couple feet of 1" steam line feeding a radiator through some pretty challenging curves/angles. If CSST could be used, it would be so easy!

I know CSST is for gas, but when you think about it, that's also what black pipe is used for.

Any thoughts?

Yes, with the stupidity of my questions, someone should confiscate my pipe wrenches and pipe threaders!

Thanks!
Phillip

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I suspect the outer covering would melt off. The inner core is made out of stainless steel so that would be good.

I would find away to pipe it in black.

I wouldn't use CSST unless it was a temporary connection
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,012
    edited April 2019
    Options

I suspect the outer covering would melt off. The inner core is made out of stainless steel so that would be good.

I would find away to pipe it in black.

I wouldn't use CSST unless it was a temporary connection

Ditto

You can take shortcuts with plumbing. You can even take shortcuts with hot water heating. But steam is unforgiving. Don't take shortcuts. Guaranteed: It will come back and bite you in the tokus.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    No, it is not rated for steam so it could fail The corrugations would probably create a lot of water hammer. Those fittings aren't rated for temperature. They may do fine or the hoop stress may cause them to leak. I doubt the temps would be high enough to melt the polyethylene jacket. The pressure shouldn't exceed 5 psi worst case. We'll be listening to see if it works!
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    No. The condensate trapped in the corrugated ribs would cause noise and premature condensing of the traveling steam. You mentioned "curves and angles" so definitely not. If you had said a short section of vertical pipe, I might be inclined to think it would be ok for a short term fix. Also, the jacket's not a problem, but the tubing itself isn't rated for steam temperatures at all.
    This is just a bad idea.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    Well, the melting point of the tubing is 2400F so I imagine it could take it :sweat_smile:

My ignorant opinion (and it is!) is that there's some lawyer-related reason they kept the operating temperature range away from steam.

The corrugations aren't great, for sure, but I do love that stuff. I haven't worked with the jacketed kind, but I used plain corrugated stainless steel tubing in the "solar loop" part of a solar hot water system. So easy to cut, and had a cool little tool that would collapse a couple corrugations to hold the washered fitting on the end of the line. So strong and flexible.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    There rubber o-ring would probably get beat up pretty bad over time
    ethicalpaul
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited April 2019
    Options
    We sold a version of that CSST for solar thermal installations. SolarFlex had a high temperature EPDM insulation over the bare stainless. Temperature and pressure would not be a problem.

Huge pressure drop with the corrugations, however.

There are some versions with a smoother inner wall used in hydraulic applications.

I like the outside the box thinking :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ethicalpaul
  • Phil53
    Phil53 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Soft copper might be a little better solution - like Gerry uses in his mini-tube installations.
  • rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    Thank you all for the info! I will report back on this thread with what happens. I am going to try to do the black pipe, but it's a tough run.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @JohnNY

I don't think I would want to be in the same room when they put a 1500lb test on that stuff. It's not much more than tinfoil
    ethicalpaulSeanBeans
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    If it must curve and you are not inclined to open the wall, You might be able to use copper tubing, but you’d need to braze it like refrigerant lines and have to use a brass fitting on each end.

The mini tube system used copper tubing at I think up to 5psi if I remember correctly.