Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bronzing Radiators?

Options
I’ve read a few posts here on “bronzing” radiators by using a base coat of oil based primer followed by a linseed oil/mica topcoat.
Unfortunately, whatever pictures were in these threads didn’t survive the various transitions to new message boards over the years.

Anyone have pictures or more information on this technique? I’m thinking about doing this for a pair of highly detailed radiators I’m restoring where powdercoating (my go-to solution) might not be ideal.

Thanks,
Patrick
cameron52

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Just keep in mind that you will reduce the output...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • PatrickNorth
    PatrickNorth Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Not to worry there- I'm confident the EDR is greater than the current rad they will replace. AND- these are so gorgeous, I'm happy to take a hit in the name of aesthetics!
    Patrick

JellisDave in QCASeanBeansSuperTech
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    EDR drops, but mass stays the same so it will store heat just a little longer between cycles. So not a bad thing.
  • PatrickNorth
    PatrickNorth Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I was just sure somebody on here had experience bronzing- I'm turning up zilch elsewhere on the web...
    Anyone?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Not many companies do bronze plating. Here is a company that sells a Bronze plating kit for decorative items. I don't know how well it will hold up to steam temps. Have you considered silver or gold leaf?
    https://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/bronze-plating-kits.html#
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    A friend used some bronze colored powder coating on some iron furniture, looks pretty good and plenty durable. Several bronze colors available.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I used a bronze/coppertone Rust-Oleum spray paint. Takes a couple cycles to cure and flash but it works really well.
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
    SuperTech
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    Man, those are awesome!
    SuperTech
  • cameron52
    cameron52 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Patrick,

I'm looking at doing the same thing and am wondering if you found any useful information on mica lindseed oil bronzing?

Thanks,

Cameron