Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler is gaining water gradually

Options
jlonj
jlonj Member Posts: 23
I noticed over the past couple months that the water level in my steam boiler is growing in the eye glass. I always keep it around the red middle mark, but if I check it after a few days, the water is about a centimeter above the middle. It’s slow, but definitely rising.

I have a manual water feed valve. Is that valve definitely leaking? I mentioned it to my plumber, and he seemed skeptical that this would happen. Is there something else that could be causing my boiler to gain water?

It’s a little odd to me since the boiler and feed are only like 5 years old. Seems a bit early for a leak to form, in my opinion.

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    pictures,
    and is there domestic hot water attached?
    known to beat dead horses
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,948
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The ph level of your water might be rising over the years causing what appears to be build up of water in your sight glass.

The feed valve could be weeping water by if some debris is caught in the valve. Do you have a auto feed with a wye strainer installed before it ? You should. This strainer catches particles in the water that could cause this.
    (Just looking to clarify as to the type of water feeder you have )

If there is a bypass valve at the auto feeder, (if you have one ) make sure that that valve is also closed tightly.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    @jlonj Pictures as @neilc suggests will help greatly. Please post some .
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @jlonj

If you do not have an automatic water feeder then your manual valve is leaking by. if you have a tankless hot water heater coil then that could have a pinhole in it which would cause the same problem.

change or check the manual valve by installing a union downstream of the valve, then it's either problem solved or move on to the tankless coil. if you have an auto feeder that should be checked
    Intplm.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Feel the pipe 8" above and below the water feed valve, if water is flowing they will both be cold. If no water is flowing they will be cool but not cold.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jlonj
    jlonj Member Posts: 23
    Options
    @Intplm. @neilc
    Sorry for the delay, y’all - here is a link to pics of the setup:
    https://imgur.com/a/9gKWDei

I don’t have an auto feeder or water tank coil.

Only other thing I could think of is that the eye glass has some rust in it that could somehow be throwing off the level? I had the boiler cleaned, but it was very dirty, so it was still a little rusty after the cleaning. Water still seems to only be going up though - it never goes down.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Don't overthink it. If the water level is going up, water is getting into the boiler from somewhere. The best bet is a leaking valve. Don't assume anything about the valves!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Cleaning the sight glass and its fittings all the way into the boiler, (also pigtails) should be done whenever the boiler has major "cleaning", IMO.

Is the copper pipe with the yellow handle "Raven" valve the only water connection to the boiler.

That valve could have some debris in it that does not give 100% shut off. I would replace it with a high quality valve. And add a union under it so it could be observed for leaking if needed in the future.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Hard to say. But that yellow handle on the ball valve does look like it is not closed completely.
    It hard to say because ball valve handles do have some play in them.
    Take a screwdriver, put the metal end to the valve and the handle to your ear and listen for water passing by. Might give you some idea if water is passing the valve.
    Wouldn't hurt to change that valve anyway.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Just change the valve. If you don't have a tankless coil nothing else will cause the issue except that valve.

If you don't have soldering material you can use "shark bite" fittings though I don't like them
    Intplm.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Are both the top and bottom valves on the sight glass open?
    JUGHNE