Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler running with no call for heat from thermostat

Options
2»

Comments

• HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Zman said:
    Your right! It's a storage tank! Good catch! Still was never installed correctly. Close,but not close enough.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options

With a New H.W. coil in the boiler,you may get away with maintaining 120f. You can try a cold start,see if it keeps up with demand,you may need a couple of months of no heat demands from your boiler to find out what's best. Maybe try maintaining 100f in the boiler,very minimal temp,and some will argue it's better for the boiler than letting it go cold.

If this was mine, I would do the cold start as suggested but not go too low with the boiler temp. You don't want to condense the boiler all summer as it will damage the vent. 140 degree at the lowest.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • lindera
    lindera Member Posts: 26
    Options
    First of all my apologies for getting everyone off on the wrong track by stating that the tank was an indirect rather than a storage tank. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond to my questions. The original installer came today and installed an aquastat on the coil which will control the upper temp on the boiler so that it does not make steam when there is a call for hot water. That is a great safety feature. It's not clear what went wrong on Tuesday, but this fix should prevent the house from heating up when there is a call for hot water. I want to say that the original installer has been great about responding to my concerns and answering all my emails and phone calls. I very much appreciate their responsiveness and getting here quickly to look at the situation.
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    @lindera
    I apologize for completely screwing that up.
    As @Zman said, its a storage tank/booster, not an indirect. I've never seen that piping design for a booster.
    However, even though I have no defense for giving BS information, the piping still does not seem correct to me, and it's not according to the diagram that @Zman posted.
    Sorry again. Hope everything works out for you.
    lindera
  • HotanCool
    Options
    And the solution was?...
  • lindera
    Options
    @HotanCool the problem could not be duplicated so as I mention in the above post, we now have an aquastat on the coil so that when there's a call for hot water, it will not go above 180 degrees.
  • HotanCool
    Options
    Good deal,hope the solution works. And fyi,you may and should be able to maintain lower than 180F for the Domestic. Try it over the summer an spring,early fall. Go down 10F at a time untill you find a happy place. Every penny counts in today's world. 180F is high for Domestic only,tank or no tank. JMO.
  • lindera
    Options
    @HotanCool Fortunately neither the boiler nor the tank is being maintained at 180. The tank aquastat is set at 130, and the boiler is fired from a cold start. On a call for hot water, It will shut off at 180, so it doesn't make steam. So far this seems to be working well.
    HotanCool
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    @JimJacklson
    There are 49 responses to this from folks working hard to find the real problem. I can't tell from your 3 posts whether you are spamming or if you just don't read before you post. This problem has been solved, and it was not a bad t-stat. Please read, then respond.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Intplm.
  • Steviewonders
    Steviewonders Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Indirect and storage are not mutually exclusive terms.  Indirect refers to the manner in which the water is heated. “Direct” as in water heater has its own burner or “indirect” as in water heater is using an external burner for applying heat to the water. 
    It can be both an indirect and a  storage tank at the same time and is one. The adjective describing it as an “aqua-booster” and claiming to have limitless hot water is just sales jargon. Most cities will refer to it as a water heater, indirectly fired, single or double-wall.
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    You need an aquastat on the boiler. the setting can not should not be above 190 degrees and no lower than 170 F.

The aquastat on the boiler will prevent steam from happening and satisfy the hot water demand.

The boiler should never be operated at lower from 140 degrees as the flue gases at lower temperatures will cause condensation in the fire side of the boiler and eventually rot out the metal from the fire side in toward wet side of the boiler.

Additionally the HW coils gpm of hot water is based on 180 degrees water in the boiler.

Jake
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,907
    Options
    @Steviewonders and @dopey27177

I think this problem was resolved in April. Thanks for your insight on the resolved issue though

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?