Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Approximate BTUs for a 1500 pound horse

Options
curtis41
curtis41 Member Posts: 1
There are tables that show resting BTUH for various masses. By those tables, a resting 1500 pound horse has about 1500 BTU/hr (BTUH). The values for a typical resting adult is around 300-350 BTUH. Cows can have much higher BTUH values, in the order of about 2,000-3750 BTUH. Our 7 horses here are all large hunter-jumpers, so the 1500 pound mass is typical for these horses and the warmblood crosses. Hope this helps. My calculations indicate about 10,500 BTUH for the 7 horses in my barn. Gives a new definition to a warmblood cross. :-)

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    What are these calculations in aid off-system sizing?
    I would imagine that horses, like pianos, do not like rapid swings in temperature.
    The figures will go up during practice or competition, taking into accounts riders and the audience. Individual judges may have to be double-rated!—NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Gives a new definition to hay burners also, :)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Our Shires live outside. They hate barns...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    My ancestors were weavers in Silesia up to the end of the second world war. They lived in the same building as their animals for this very reason. The animals lived on the ground level and the people lived above with the looms.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Now that’s real radiant heat!
    A version of the “two dog night”.—NBC
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    We are all boilers, or heat sources to some extent, food is our fuel source.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    I wonder if anyone has calculated the heat output of politicians? With all the hot air coming from them, it has to be tremendous.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HVACNUT
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    They probably have to exhaust that excess heat from the government buildings to avoid damaging the structure.
    Don’t let one stand next to your piano!—NBC
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    And horses aren't 100% AFUE but unused byproducts can be turned into more fuel.
    SuperTech
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Yes unlike the internal combustion engine, the exhaust can be very useful!—NBC