Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New oil boiler is making me sick and I am clueless

Options

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,870
    Options
    Have you ordered a Low Level CO Detector yet?
    Canucker
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Does that chimney run thru the house or outside the house?
  • Acey_A
    Acey_A Member Posts: 49
    Options
    @pecmsg not yet. I did check a little doesn't seem like you can go into like home depot to buy one. Could you recommend a site that carries them? Do you have one?
  • Acey_A
    Options
    I meant you can't go into a store like home depot
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Just Google
    Low Level CO Detectors

I have 2 of these
    http://www.defenderdetectors.com/ll6070.html

Just gave one to a friend that pregnant!
    Acey_ASuperTech
  • Acey_A
    Options
    Thank you again. I will check it out
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @pecmsg I just saw this. Yes the chimney does run thru the home. It is a cape style
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA if the leakage of combustion was coming in the home from the chimney, would a person get a chemical like taste or smell like chemical fume odor. Would you know?
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA another? Would know what type of company that would specialize in coming out and checking for co. I called to fire department directly they said they can only come out on a 911 call
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,844
    Options
    Any large exhaust fans in the home? Range hood, fart fan, clothes dryer, attic fan, whole house fan?
    Is the boiler in a confined space?
  • pecmsg
    Options
    Too me that chimney looks large for a small boiler. Cant tell without being there!
  • Acey_A
    Options
    No, the boiler is not in a confined space
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Does the barometric damper (white hinged door on the side of the pipe) stay tilted open at varying degrees the entire time the boiler runs and then slowly close after the boiler shuts off? Does it ever slam shut? Like when the boiler first starts?

How much does it open after the boiler has just started and what about after running for a while?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,587
    Options
    With a CO reading of 7ppm in the flue, is it possible to have CO sickness symptoms? I mean, if you have a draft, most of the CO would go up the stack, wouldn't it? So, if CO WAS leaking into house, it would have to be less than 7ppm. 7ppm doesnt sound like enough to cause symptoms. I think being stuck in traffic or behind a truck would be more exposure than 7ppm.

However, there is teflon tape there. And teflon has been known to off-gas and cause similar symptoms to hyper-sensitive people.
    SuperTech
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @ChrisJ i can't really say, because here in Connecticut we have very high winds so the damper Is moving quiet a bit
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    > @Acey_A said:
    > @ChrisJ i can't really say, because here in Connecticut we have very high winds so the damper Is moving quiet a bit

That's still a good sign.

Keep an eye on it and let us know once the wind calms down.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @SlamDunk I am so confused with these co’s numbers they keep saying(company that check the unit)that the number are good. Ok this Teflon tape isn't this what is supposed to be used?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Teflon tape and pipe dope are both supposed to be used on threaded pipe. Another thought was the oils that the boiler had on it may have been burning off, but that usually only lasts a couple days.

A good HVAC technician should easily be able to test for CO in the ambient air, but your combustion numbers look decent, as if the burner is firing cleanly. 7 PPM is like walking around Manhattan in traffic, unpleasant but very unlikely to cause those symptoms. I'm thinking you might have a sensitivity to whatever pipe dope or Teflon that was used.
    Acey_A
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    Acey_A said:

@SlamDunk I am so confused with these co’s numbers they keep saying(company that check the unit)that the number are good. Ok this Teflon tape isn't this what is supposed to be used?

You can google side effects of over heated ptfe (teflon). In general, flu like symptoms very much like CO.

just throwing it out there.
    Acey_A
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    SlamDunk said:

Acey_A said:

You can google side effects of over heated ptfe (teflon). In general, flu like symptoms very much like CO.

just throwing it out there.
    We had a similar case here, a couple years ago. Poster and her daughter coulkdn't stay in the house IIRC. She was a chemical engineer and insisted the cause was chemical, not CO. After a month or so of trying everything, she had her installer take the new piping loose and replace the Teflon tape and pipe dope with a different brand and the problem was resolved. I think the old tape and dope was Blue Monster. I did notice, at that time that my roll of tape was "made in China" Don't know if that made any difference or if Blue Monster changed sourcing.

The poster and the installer who took things apart did notice the tape overlapped the pipe and was exposed to the steam on several joints.
    Acey_ADZoro
  • SlamDunk
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @fred, I think i have read that here myself. In addition, i seem to recall a post about a pharma co. that had all teflon tape removed from steam pipes.
    Acey_A
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,567
    Options
    The liner is breaking down. Why not just have a metal flue liner put in and be done with it?

You combustion #s are very good. I would be concerned if the tech smelled "exhaust" in the basement. Was that before his adjustments?

Is the smell diminishing at all?
    Acey_A
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed he smelled it before the adjustments, but after they correct what they assume the issue is....the very quickly. No the smell seems like it's getting stronger
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @SlamDunk i will google that info👍👍👍
  • Acey_A
    Options
    Hello everyone thanks again for all of your input. I am really reaching, but i have another?. When install a new oil boiler does the new one require water to be added to it so the water can heat up and flow up to the baseboards.
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    yes. boilers do not come with water.
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @SlamDunk thank you for responding. What i am trying to understand. Does the original water poured into boiler and it heats up and travels up to baseboards or does the water come in from the water line and travel down into the boiler to heat up. I am in a desperate situation and no recourse so just trying my best to rule out things in a situation i don't know much about because i trusted someone to do a professional job🙁
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @SlamDunk reason i ask because is certain things took place during the install. I notice a bucket of water with a good amount of oil residue in it i think came from when they drained the older boiler.....sorry in advanced if this? Comes off Silly..
  • danski0224
    danski0224 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    It seems that the OP has exhausted the conventional suspects. Draft is good, no abnormal CO readings.

A blocked chimney should result in problem readings, correct? Has a CO survey of the home been performed?

I'd suggest testing for VOC's (volatile organic compounds). Something in the installation is likely offgassing something that the OP is sensitive to.

A search for "Sick building syndrome" could point to a service provider.

Look for indoor air quality test kits. You would likely need multiple test kits and test locations to help identify locations and concentrations of the suspected problem(s).

Perform your due diligence before forking over the money.

The blue color of the Teflon tape is a trademark of Blue Monster, and I would be surprised if that was an issue, given that the product is used on potable water systems. It is sold almost everywhere, so if there was a problem, it would surely be all over the news or forums like this one.

I would suspect the sealants used in the manufacture/assembly boiler simply because that is the largest new item, which is also exposed to heat/cool cycles.
    Acey_ASuperTechSTEVEusaPA
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    Acey_A said:

@SlamDunk reason i ask because is certain things took place during the install. I notice a bucket of water with a good amount of oil residue in it i think came from when they drained the older boiler.....sorry in advanced if this? Comes off Silly..

Probably from skimming the boiler at start up to remove manufacturing oils. Could be dirty water from old boiler. It is not silly. You are just limited by what a forum can do to help you. You might need another company to come in.
    SuperTech
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,977
    Options
    @Acey_A I just looked through the entire thread again and unless I missed it, did anyone mention the possibility of a dead critter in your boiler or chimney. Maybe it's time to look . Look in the boiler all the way to the top of the chimney.
    Might be as small as a mouse?
    Might want to look into it. Some smell things more easily then others.
  • Acey_A
    Options
    Is it strange that when i come home It is a Strong odor of oil so much that i inhale it and i start to get sick and everytime the boiler comes on i don't have to be in the basement before i smell i right away on the main living area I did check if oil line is leaking didn't see anything. I just don't know what they did during the install. I am going to trying some of the things above to try to rule out. I will also call the manufacturer to see what type sealant was used in the assembly. Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate your input
  • Intplm.
    Options
    @Acey_A Where is the oil tank located?
    Is it in the basement?
    Are all the fittings tight?
    Did they forget to tighten one plug? The plug(s) on the top of the tank? This can happen when they purge the fuel unit on the oil burner. They would poor the purged fuel back into the tank. Did they forget to put the plug back in? Tighten it back up?
    Go take a look. Try to turn the plugs by hand. And look around for oil stains that can let off an oil smell too.
    Acey_A
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @Intplm. The boiler is in the basement. I will look into this when i get home.
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Options
    Not the boiler so much. Look to the oil tank as described. Might be just that simple. At least I hope it is.
    Acey_A
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Did you get a new fill of oil since the new boiler was installed? It may make more sense to turn your attention to the oil/oil supplier if they filled your tank recently.
  • Acey_A
    Options
    @Fred, no
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Where are you located. Maybe someone here can pop over and assess the situation.
    As far as the integrity of the chimney, @Bob Harper could weigh in on what I think is called a Level II inspection, camera down the chimney and of course the ability to interpret what they see.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Intplm.
    Options
    @Acey_A any luck finding what we talked about yesterday?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    In the state of WA, a stainless chimney liner must be installed when replacing an oil boiler. I simply wouldn't take a chance without one.
This discussion has been closed.